Originally built in the 1870s, Edinburgh’s Princes Street Station was one of Scotland’s largest and most impressive railway terminals.
In the age of steam, it was the gateway to Scotland’s capital from the west, occupying a vast stretch of the city centre and welcoming countless numbers of rail travellers.
The curtain call arrived on 9 September 1965 and the grand station was demolished within five years.
Take a look through our picture gallery to see Edinburgh Princes Street Station in its heyday.
Legendary Caledonian Railway locomotive number 123 arrives at Princes Street Station, 1962. Photo: TSPL
6. Aerial view
Aerial of Princes Street Station and central Edinburgh. Photo: TSPL
7. The railway children
Children gather round Prince Street Station's model railway, which circled the station Christmas tree each December. Left to right Martin Butler, Marion Laing and Brian Laneghan. Photo: TSPL
8. A royal welcome
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip on their first state visit to Edinburgh in 1953, departing from the Caledonian Railway Station at the West End of Princes Street. Photo: TSPL