Leithers were passionate about the sovereignty of their town and voted overwhelmingly in favour of remaining separate from Edinburgh in two plebiscites held over the course of 1920.
Nevertheless, the boundaries act went through.
1. Leith coat of arms
Every independent burgh. needs its own coat of arms and Leith was no different. Granted on Feburary 27, 1889, the coat of arms bears the famous "Persevere" motto. The coat of arms can still be seen all over Leith today. Photo: Contributed
2. Leith Town Hall
Carved into the stonework above the police station at Constitution Street are the words "TOWN HALL". Built in 1828 (Leith became an independent burgh in 1833) this was the original Leith Town Hall. The building still contains the old Victorian debating chamber within. Photo: Contributed
3. Leith Theatre
Opened in 1932, Leith Theatre was built a full 12 years after amalgamation. Few are aware, however, that the complex was actually part of a promise to placate the Leith public for their acceptance of the 1920 merger. Photo: Ian Georgeson
4. Leith Corn Exchange
Edinburgh originally had its corn exchange at the Grass Market, but, prior to amalgamation, Leith had its very own. The former corn exchange building is situated at the corner of Constitution Street and Baltic Street. Photo: Danny Lawson