Nostalgia: Edinburgh’s parks

THEY are the green lungs of the city. Edinburgh’s parks and green spaces have been put to a variety of uses over the years – from sheep grazing in Holyrood in the 1970s to bicycle speedway in Pilrig in 1955.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 17th November 2012, 12:34 pm

This week, there was news that 30 acres of land will be gifted into public ownership as part of the controversial £90 million plans to redevelop the former Napier University campus at Craighouse, which prompted our search of the Evening News picture files.

Our main image is not of a park at all, but rather what happened to the streets surrounding Roseburn Park in 1948 after floods caused by heavy rain.

A popular theme as it turns out because Hailes Quarry – now the site of Hailes Quarry Park – was also pictured under water in a gloomy photograph the following year.

Sign up to our Retro newsletter

That probably wouldn’t have been a good day to take a stroll along the Water of Leith, but the weather was thankfully a bit better for workmen widening the bridge at 
Slateford in 1967.