Extra prison time for career criminal who targeted tourist in Edinburgh street attack

A career criminal who assaulted a female tourist whilst on home leave from an attempted murder sentence has been given more jail time for the attack.

Thursday, 1st April 2021, 12:34 pm

Callum Campbell-Dunn,25, was serving a nine year prison sentence when he and girlfriend Megan Duffy,25, attacked New Zealander Loren McBride on August 13 2019.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard how Miss McBride was punched and kicked on the head and body during the sickening attack which took place in the city’s Temple Park Crescent.

Miss McBride,25, had asked Duffy if she was alright moments after noticing she looking sad. Duffy and Campbell-Dunn had been arguing with each other.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Career criminal Callum Campbell-Dunn

The court heard that Campbell-Dunn “without warning” began to punch and kick Miss McBride. Moments later, Duffy joined in by grabbing Miss McBride’s hair before landing more blows.

Last month, during proceedings, Campbell-Dunn pleaded guilty to a charge of kicking and punching Miss McBride to her head and body to her injury.

Duffy pleaded guilty to punching and kicking Miss McBride to her head and body, stamping on her head causing her severe injury, permanent impairment and which was ‘to the danger of her life.’

Judge Lord Beckett told Campbell-Dunn that he’d serve 12 months for assaulting Miss McBride once he had finished his nine-year term.

His accomplice Duffy was jailed for 38 and a half months for her role in the assault. Lord Beckett also ordered her to be supervised for 12 months following her release from custody.

Passing sentence, Lord Beckett said: “This was a serious assault committed against an entirely innocent and publicly spirited young woman. She was brutally attacked.”

In May 2016, Campbell-Dunn was jailed for nine years at the high court for attacking Daniel Horn, then 21, in Dunfermline, Fife, in December 2015.

On that occasion, the court heard how Campbell-Dunn struck father-of-one Mr Horn with a traffic cone, punched him, stamped on his head and even laughed as he took pictures of his victim lying on the ground.

Mr Horn, 21, had tried to stop an argument between the yob and his girlfriend on a night out in Dunfermline, Fife.

He was left with life changing injuries and could no longer work to support his family.

Campbell-Dunn had been released from Polmont Young Offenders' Institution three months before the incident and would have been in custody at the time of the attack but for early release provisions.

He was freed after serving half of a 19-month sentence for a number of offences, including possession of a weapon and resisting arrest.

Judge Lady Rae told Campbell-Dunn that he had committed 'a vicious and motiveless attack' as she sentenced him.

Duffy has also served time in prison.

In August 2016, she was given 120 days detention for attacking police officers. Perth Sheriff Court heard how asked police to find her cigarettes before attacking them.

When the officers told her they could not help, Duffy lashed out at the officers and spat at them.

Prosecution lawyer Lisa Gillespie QC told the court last month that Campbell Dunn had been allowed to visit his family at the time of the attack and that Duffy was his partner.

Describing the assault, Ms Gillespie said: “Because Duffy looked distressed the complainer intervened and asked if she was alright.

“Without warning, Campbell-Dunn lunged at the complainer and began to punch and kick her.

“Duffy then joined in, grabbing the complainer by the hair, kicking and punching her with both accused now attacking her at the same time. The complainer fell to the ground but was able to get back up.

“Trying to remove herself from the situation, the complainer walked away. Her friend had already walked off to call the police.

“Duffy followed the complainer and when she caught up with her grabbed her and threw her to the ground. She kicked the complainer to the head and body and stamped on her face.”

Campbell-Dunn’s solicitor advocate Iain McSporran QC said his client had a “somewhat chaotic upbringing” having been “exposed to violence” as a young boy.

Mr McSporran said that Campbell-Dunn was “completely off the rails” at the time he attacked Mr Horn.

He added: “He believes he has matured greatly since the commission of that offence. He considers that prison saved his life.”

He said that Campbell Dunn has now been diagnosed with a personality disorder and continues to see a psychologist on a weekly basis.

Tim Niven Smith, for Duffy, said that the attack was a “potential danger” to life with no “bony injuries” or “bleeding on the brain before”.

She said: “She has very much at a crossroads.”

Mr Niven Smith said that while on remand in custody, it is not compulsory to work but she has volunteered for work and has worked throughout all her period in remand in the pantry.”

He added: “She did express some remorse and accepted her responsibility.”

Lord Beckett backdated Duffy’s sentence to August 2019 - the time when she was first taken into custody for assaulting Miss McBride.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.