Gorebridge man caught red-handed with deadly guns and ammo

A crook was caught with a sawn-off shotgun, revolver and bullets has been jailed for almost seven years.

Friday, 11th June 2021, 4:55 am
Updated Friday, 11th June 2021, 8:01 am

Let us know what you think and join the conversation at the bottom of this article.

Sean Gillan was snared after police got a tip off on the day the 25 year-old took hold of the deadly haul.

He had agreed to keep watch in a bid to re-pay a large drug debt.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Deadly: Revolver seized from Sean Gillan
Deadly: Revolver seized from Sean Gillan

The raid occurred at a house in Gorebridge, Midlothian last August 26.

Gillan pled guilty at the High Court in Glasgow to possession of the firearms and ammunition.

Lady Stacey sentenced him to a total of six years and nine months.

The hearing was told Gillan being found with the guns was linked to a drugs bust in 2017, which eventually saw him jailed.

His QC Brian McConnachie said: "At that time, there was a substantial recovery of drugs.

"As a result, he was in debt to those who supplied him.

"Even as we stand here now, he is still £5,000 in debt as a result of the seizure."

The defence advocate added Gillan was "prevailed" upon by the dealers to look after the weapons.

Lady Stacey jailed Gillan at the High Court in Glasgow

Prosecutor Blair Speed earlier told the hearing that the firearms were found to be in working order.

Revolver ammunition was discovered, but could not be used with the weapon found.

Sentencing, Lady Stacey said: "You kept these guns having agreed to do so for a short period in respect of a drug debt.

Gillan was also caught with bullets

"The police must have had intelligence as they came on the day you got them."

Gillan had also been charged with abducting and assaulting a man to the danger of his life in Penicuik, Midlothian the day before the raid.

This allegedly involved the use of a gun and threats to kill him if he did not commit a robbery at a jewellery store.

But, prosecutors accepted his not guilty plea to the allegation.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.