Pint glass attack mother escapes jail sentence

A mother who smashed a pint glass into a woman's face in a Valentine's Day attack has escaped a jail sentence.

Wednesday, 15th March 2017, 1:56 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:09 am
Sharon Robertson
Sharon Robertson

Sharon Robertson threw a pint of lager over victim Abby Salter before launching the empty beer glass at the woman’s head when the pair clashed during a pub battle last February.

Robertson, 27, claimed she reacted after Ms Salter bumped into her on purpose on the dance floor of the Calderwood Arms, in Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, last year.

The stunned victim was left bleeding heavily following the attack and was rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for treatment to a gash above her nose.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mum-of-one Robertson admitted the pub attack at the Capital’s Sheriff Court last month and was ordered to carry out unpaid work in the community when she appeared back in the dock for sentencing on Wednesday. Fiscal depute Ann McNeill previously told the court Robertson and Ms Salter had been at the popular bar and there had been “no difficulties” between them until around 12.45am on February 14 last year.

Ms McNeill said: “The complainer was standing at the bar and the accused had been at the bar and she was drinking a pint of Carling.

“The accused appeared to think Ms Salter had bumped into her earlier in the evening and challenged her about that.

“They were standing closely to each other when very suddenly the accused threw the contents of the glass over the complainer and then threw the glass at her.

“The glass struck her on the head, breaking as it did so.”

The court heard Ms Salter noticed she was bleeding from the attack and police were contacted, though both women left the scene soon after the incident.

Police officers identified Robertson, from Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, from the pub’s CCTV footage and she eventually attended a local police station to be interviewed in connection with the attack around two months later.

Ms McNeill added: “The complainer sustained a cut [to her head] and attended at the ERI where the 2cm wound was washed out and dressing was applied.”

Solicitor Brian Gilfedder, defending, said Ms Salter believed she had been kicked by Robertson while both were on the pub dance floor earlier in the evening.

Mr Gilfedder said: “My client denies that [the accusation]. The complainer then asked friends of the accused ‘where does she live?’ and ‘who is she?’

“A few minutes later the complainer was at the bar and the accused challenged her about trying to find out where she lived and who she was.

“At that point there was an exchange of words and the accused committed this offence.

“I am not putting this forward for an excuse for her actions, as they are inexcusable.”

Sheriff Thomas Welsh told Robertson she would have to complete 200 hours of unpaid work as punishment for the pub attack.

Robertson admitted to assaulting Abby Salter by throwing the contents of a glass over her and throwing a glass at her causing glass to strike her on the head, all to her severe injury, at the Calderwood Arms, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, on February 14 last year.