Scottish singer Finley Quaye admits 'unprovoked attack' on bar manager

Troubled Brit Award winner Finley Quaye has admitted punching a bar manager in the face during an unprovoked drunken attack.

Monday, 7th October 2019, 5:06 pm
Updated Monday, 7th October 2019, 6:06 pm
Troubled Scottish reggae star Finley Quaye has appeared in court. Picture: File

The Edinburgh-born singer, best known for his album Maverick A Strike in the late 1990s, pleaded guilty to assaulting Robert Jenei outside 267 Old Brompton Road, west London, in the early hours of September 8.

The court heard that Quaye, 45 of Earls Court in London, had been performing at a bar and drinking there throughout the previous day.

Read More

Read More
Brit Award winning Edinburgh popstar Finley Quaye accused of damaging B&B after 'drink-fuelled rampage'
Quaye won the 1997 Mobo Award for best reggae act. Picture: Youtube

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But after looking for the bag Mr Jenei returned to find Quaye "visibly angry", Mr Pakenham added.

He added: "The defendant was seen being verbally abusive and threatening towards the victim and security staff at a licensed premises, saying he was going to punch them in the face.

"The defendant then punched the victim in the face."

"I will stab you lot in the kidney"

The court heard Quaye had then kicked a BMW belonging to security staff before shouting abuse in the street and said: "I will stab you lot in the kidney, I will stab you in the wind pipe."

Mr Pakenham described it as an "unprovoked attack" and added: "He was drinking, it is in a licensed premises, despite the time of night there are plenty of patrons there, ironically the manager he assaulted was the person trying to help him."

Shahnaz Sargent, defending, said her client was ashamed over the incident.

She added: "Mr Quaye accepts that he has got an alcohol problem.

"He accepts that he was out of order"

"He had been drinking all day. He has performed there on several occasions and is in fact very ashamed of his behaviour.

"He accepts that he was out of order."

A panel of magistrates ordered probation to prepare a report on Quaye before he is to be sentenced.

He was released on conditional bail to return to the same court on Monday October 14.