Serial thug targeted New Zealand tourist in Edinburgh while on home leave from attempted murder sentence

A career criminal who attempted to murder another male whilst on early release savagely assaulted a female tourist whilst on a temporary home visit from behind bars.

Monday, 8th March 2021, 4:30 pm
Updated Tuesday, 9th March 2021, 2:18 pm

Callum Campbell-Dunn,25, was on leave from a nine year sentence when he and girlfriend Megan Duffy,25, attacked New Zealander Loren McBride on August 13 2019.

The High Court in Edinburgh heard Miss McBride was punched and kicked on the head and body during the sickening attack which took place in the city’s Temple Park Crescent.

Miss McBride, 25, had asked Duffy if she was alright moments after noticing her looking sad. Duffy and Campbell-Dunn had been arguing with each other.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Serial thug: Campbell-Dunn

The court heard that Campbell-Dunn “without warning” began to punch and kick Miss McBride and Duffy joined in by grabbing her hair before landing more blows.

Describing the assault, prosecution lawyer Lisa Gillespie QC said: “The complainer Loren McBride, aged 25, lives in New Zealand. At the time of the offence she was visiting the UK on an ancestry visa and had been in Edinburgh for a week.

“Because Duffy looked distressed the complainer intervened and asked if she was alright.

“Without warning, Campbell-Dunn lunged at the complainer and began to punch and kick her. Duffy then joined in, grabbing the complainer by the hair, kicking and punching her with both accused now attacking her at the same time. The complainer fell to the ground but was able to get back up.

“Trying to remove herself from the situation, the complainer walked away. Her friend had already walked off to call the police.

“Duffy followed the complainer and when she caught up with her grabbed her and threw her to the ground. She kicked the complainer to the head and body and stamped on her face.

“The complainer, pinned on the ground, between a parked car and the gutter, was unable to move away.

“She described this as by far the most painful part of the assault. Duffy was pulled away from the complainer by the accused brother’s who persuaded both accused to return to his flat.

Campbell-Dunn, originally of Dalgety Bay, Fife, and Duffy, originally of Perth, pleaded guilty to attacking Miss McBride before judge Lord Beckett.

Duffy pleaded guilty to punching and kicking Miss McBride to her head and body, stamping on her head causing her severe injury, permanent impairment and which was ‘to the danger of her life.’

In May 2016, Campbell-Dunn was jailed for nine years for attacking Daniel Horn, then 21, in Dunfermline.

He hit the father-of-one with a traffic cone, punched him, stamped on his head and laughed as he took pictures of his victim lying on the ground.

Mr Horn, 21, was left with life changing injuries and could no longer work to support his family.

Campbell-Dunn had been released from Polmont Young Offenders' Institution three months before the incident and would have been in custody at the time of the attack but for early release provisions.

He was freed after serving half of a 19-month sentence for a number of offences, including possession of a weapon and resisting arrest.

Both Campbell-Dunn and Duffy will be sentenced on April 1 2021.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.