Ferry Road crash victim dies in hospital

A man who fell under a lorry following an argument in the street has died from his injuries.
Police sealed off the area. Picture: Jon SavagePolice sealed off the area. Picture: Jon Savage
Police sealed off the area. Picture: Jon Savage

The 36-year-old, named by police as Jaime Brynes, was trapped under the wheels following the collision in Ferry Road.

It is understood he had argued with another man shortly before he lost his footing and was dragged under the wheels of the passing truck.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Police have confirmed that his death is not being treated as suspicious.

Part of Ferry Road is sealed off. Picture: Colin WatsonPart of Ferry Road is sealed off. Picture: Colin Watson
Part of Ferry Road is sealed off. Picture: Colin Watson

Staff from the nearby Boots rushed to the injured man’s side and did all they could to help him, according to bystanders.

Horrified witnesses said the workers used bandages from the store to staunch the blood flow until paramedics arrived.

A police spokeswoman said: “Police in Edinburgh attended a road traffic collision involving a truck and Jaime Brynes on Ferry Road at around 9am. The Scottish Ambulance Service treated Mr Brynes at the scene but he later passed away at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“His death is being treated as non-suspicious and a report will be sent to the procurator fiscal.”

Witnesses claimed that

people had shouted at the driver: “There is someone under the lorry.”

Hydraulic lifting gear had to be used to free Mr Brynes following the incident, which saw a section of road closed for most of the day.

One eyewitness, who admitted he had been very shaken by the horrific incident, said he saw Mr Brynes fall under the wheels of the truck following an argument which started in Boots before spilling out on to the street.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said: “It started off as an altercation between two men. I think they had both gone in to get their prescriptions at the same time.

“One of the men got caught under the wheel and he got dragged under the lorry. I think the lorry driver realised because he stopped right away, and they got him to reverse.

“The staff from Boots were the first to respond to help the guy under the wheels.

“They did everything that could be done. They were trying to stem the flow of blood while another person ran in and out getting tissues and bandages. The pharmacist took control of the situation until the paramedics arrived.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“He was slipping in and out of consciousness. They had to cut his clothes off to assess his injuries,” he added.

The accident left Ferry Road closed between the junctions of North Fort Street and Trafalgar Street for almost seven hours to allow police and ambulance staff to work.