Lady Haig's Poppy Factory celebrates 90th anniversary
VETERANS at the famous Lady Haig's Poppy Factory in the Capital recently celebrated its 90th anniversary with a lunch for staff and loyal supporters.
Lady Haig’s was founded on March 8, 1926, by Lady Dorothy Haig, who was the wife of Field Marshal Douglas Haig, the First World War army commander.
Today, it employs veterans with disabilities who hand-assemble around five million poppies and 8000 wreaths annually for the Scottish Poppy Appeal.
The factory first opened in the Canongate, moving to its current premises in Warriston Road in 1965.
Around 40 ex-service personnel continue to work in the factory, where they make poppies for the whole of Scotland.
Our pictures highlight the skill and dedication the factory thrives upon.
A wreath was carefully being put together at the factory by a craftsman in November 1967, just hours before Armistice Day.
Squadron leader Gerald Blair, also factory manager and honorary secretary of Lady Haig’s Poppy Factory, was doing his bit for the cause in November 1962.
And three men were hard at it, tying wreaths and boxing them up for the commemorations towards the end of October 1953.