Man jailed for horror knife attack on delivery driver

A MAN who left a delivery driver with his insides “hanging out” after a brutal unprovoked knife attack was jailed for seven years today.

Aaron Gray, 23, admitted a murder bid on Mark Miller, 26, near to Pizza Hut in Raeburn Place, Stockbridge, on 3 April.

Surgeons had to carry out an emergency operation on Mr Miller to repair his injured bowel and blood vessels.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

At the High Court in Glasgow judge Lord Doherty told Gray: “You have been convicted of the attempted murder of Mark Miller.

“The offence involved repeatedly stabbing him with a knife. It involved arming yourself , then returning to the scene and attacking him.

“If it had not been for immediate medical intervention Mr Miller’s life would have been in danger.”

Gray originally denied attempting to murder Mr Miller, but changed his plea during a trial at the High Court in Edinburgh.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mr Miller, a hospital worker, who also worked as a delivery driver for Pizza Hut, said he was heading back to the restaurant when he became aware of a man shouting.

He said he had ignored him and the man left the scene in a car, but returned minutes later and emerged from a passenger door.

Victim Mr Miller said: “He came running towards me.

“It happened that quick,” he said before the pair got involved in “a scuffle”.

He said: “I managed to get up on to my feet. I was still holding on to him. Then I just let go of him. Then I put my hand down on to my stomach and I realised I had been stabbed. My insides were hanging out.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Advocate depute Graeme Jessop said Gray claimed he knew Mr Miller which the victim denied.

As a result of the attack Mr Miller suffered anxiety and depression.

Solicitor advocate Jim Wallace, defending, said: “Mr Gray accepts full responsibility for his actions and wishes to express genuine and sincere remorse.”

Mr Wallace added that Gray was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder following an assault on him in 2010.