‘Disaster waiting to happen’: Readers react to plans for Edinburgh Christmas Market 2020

Plans for this year’s Christmas market have been unveiled, showing attractions spread across three city-centre locations.

By Conor Marlborough
Wednesday, 9th September 2020, 8:11 pm

Edinburgh Evening News readers have reacted with outrage to new plans outlining this year’s Christmas Market.

The proposals show attractions spread across three city-centre locations.

There will be no stalls in East Princes Street Gardens, which has traditionally hosted the market, but the Big Wheel and Star Flyer attractions are to be located on the top level of the gardens close to the Scott Monument.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Edinburgh Evening News readers have reacted with outrage to new plans outlining this year’s Christmas Market.

Instead, the nearby Mound precinct will have 27 stalls. Another 18 stalls will be sited in George Street, along with the ice rink, which was ousted from St Andrew Square last year, while round the corner in Castle Street will be the box office and a further 12 stalls.

Reacting to the news on social media, readers have questioned the safety of the planned event, with some calling for a complete boycott.

“Money before lives!” wrote Jenni Howard, “Blubberbelly makes it all about money. Not been to the Xmas market since they took over and ruined it.”

Laura Clouston asked: “Why is this even going on? It's too much of a risk.”

Chris McPhillips called it “shocking news”, suggesting the Council “is trying to find a way to recover lost revenue from a cancelled tourist season.”

Davie Macdonald called the markets “too big a cash cow” for the council to cancel, “so lets put thousands of lives at risk!”

Angela Snedden said that, with local events in East Lothian getting cancelled, it is “disgraceful” that the Edinburgh Christmas Market will go ahead.

Commenting on the plans themselves, however, Norman Douglas Harvey said they looked “much better than previous years.”

Marilyn Robertson joked that Christmas is “cancelled” and that “Santa will be shielding.”

Dave Flynn called on the “People of Edinburgh” to “vote with your feet and boycott the event.”

Jan Allen labelled the plans a “disaster waiting to happen.”

More than 2.6 million people visited the city’s Christmas attractions in East Princes Street Gardens last year.

A Message from the Editor

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism.

Subscribe to the Edinburgh Evening News online and enjoy unlimited access to trusted, fact-checked news and sport from Edinburgh and the Lothians. Visit https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/subscriptions now to sign up.

By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Joy Yates

Editorial Director