Edinburgh's Gyle Shopping Centre evacuated due to toilet fire
and live on Freeview channel 276
Fire crews rushed to Edinburgh’s Gyle Shopping Centre yesterday evening when it was evacuated due to a fire in a public toilet near the entrance.
The shopping centre at South Gyle on the west side of the city was evacuated at around 6pm on Tuesday, August 8, with fire engines quickly on the scene to tackle the fire in the centre’s ground floor toilet. The fire was quickly extinguished and nobody was injured in the incident.
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "We were alerted at 6.04pm on Tuesday, August 8 to reports of a fire within the Gyle Shopping Centre in Edinburgh.
"Operations Control mobilised three appliances and a high reach vehicle to the scene where firefighters were met with a fire within the ground floor toilet near to the main entrance. There were no casualties and crews left the scene at 6.44pm after ensuring the fire was extinguished and the area was made safe."
When contacted by the Evening News, the Gyle Shopping Centre simply said: “We can’t say what happened.”