Burntisland incident: Fire service and police called Fife street after smell of ammonia caused alarm

Emergency services have been called to a street in Fife after receiving reports of a smell of ammonia in the area.

Police vans and fire engines have closed off the road at Somerville Street in Burntisland after they were called to investigate the smell of ammonia in the area.

Eye witnesses says they have spotted officers in hazmat suits attend the scene, and were told they were at the scene due to a chemical leak in a fridge.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The fridge was removed to a safe area, and the emergency services have remained at the scene.

Burntisland incident: Fire service and police called to ongoing incident in Fife

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 8.30am on Thursday, February 3 to reports of a strong smell of ammonia from a building on Somerville Street, Burntisland.

“Operations Control mobilised three fire appliances and specialist resources to the area.

“Firefighters removed a domestic fridge to safe area and crews are still at the scene.”

Read More
Analysis: Opposition parties must adapt in face of Prime Minister who cannot be ...

A message from the Editor:Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.