Fundraiser launched for 'devastated' family and neighbours of 'wee Leith cat' after fire destroys flat

The Go Fund Me page has a target of £1,000.

Thursday, 19th December 2019, 11:45 am

A fundraiser has been launched for residents of a building on Sandport Way in Leith which was ravaged by fire on Tuesday.

Shannon Johnston, 20, her sister Jasmine and mother Ruth were out when their flat caught fire due to an electrical fault around 7.30am on Tuesday.

But the family cat Nala was still inside.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Firefighters braved the flames to rescue the unconscious creature before using special equipment donated by Smokey Paws to administer oxygen to half an hour

Firefighters braved the flames to rescue the unconscious kitty before using special equipment donated by Smokey Paws to administer oxygen to half an hour, bringing the cat back to life.

The living room and kitchen of the flat are completely destroyed, while the rest of the rooms are badly smoke damaged.

Ms Johnston and her family now face spending Christmas in a B&B provided by the Council if their housing association, Port of Leith, cannot find emergency accommodation.

The Go Fund Me page, created by neighbour David Sutton in the name of 'the wee Leith cat', aims to raise £1000 for the family and neighbours, who also experienced smoke damage.

Firefighters managed to save Nala's life

"My neighbours have just lost everything in a serious fire the family are obviously devastated two young daughters," wrote Mr Hutton in the fundraiser description.

"The lady above the fire had very bad smoke damage she was a hero she woke most of the block up along with her two young sons. Please help these good people at this time of year," he added.