McDonald's to reopen some restaurants for walk-in customers next week
The group said 11 restaurants in Roadchef service stations will open next Wednesday for takeaway and click-and-collect orders, allowing customers in for the first time since the lockdown in March.
If the trial is successful, it then aims to roll this out gradually to high streets, towns and city centre sites from June 24.
McDonald's will also bring back McMuffins, bagels and hash browns on its breakfast menu on June 24, though only in a limited number of restaurants initially.
It hopes to extend the breakfast menu nationwide in July as part of its phased wider reopening.
The move comes after customers were left disappointed when the restaurants recently reopened for drive-thru and delivery were not offering the breakfast menu, due to limited staffing capacity amid the coronavirus crisis.
McDonald's was forced to shut its restaurants across the UK amid the Covid-19 lockdown.
Last week, it had reopened more than 1,000 sites for drive-thru under plans for a gradual restarting of its operations.
It is also opening more stores for delivery, with another 570 offering this service across the UK and Ireland from June 10.
Rivals including Subway, Burger King, Pret A Manger, Nando's and Wagamama have also recently laid out plans to rapidly open more sites as restaurant chains get to grips with the current lockdown restrictions.
Paul Pomroy, McDonald's UK & Ireland chief executive, said: "Starting on Wednesday 17th June, in 11 Roadchef service station locations, we will welcome motorway users back inside our restaurants for the first time since March.
"We're taking our time to get this right, reviewing our processes before we gradually roll-out to high streets, towns and city centres from 24th June onwards."
He added: "I know that opening those doors will be incredibly satisfying for our restaurant teams, but it will also mean them getting used to the measures we have implemented to enable us to safely return."
Only a certain number of customers will be allowed in each restaurant at any time and they will need to follow a one-way system, according to McDonald's.
There will be hand-sanitising stations and its seating areas, toilets and lifts will remain closed.
McDonald's staff will also use face coverings and gloves, while Perspex screens and other social-distancing measures have also been introduced.
For the time being, the chain said it will continue to offer a limited menu over reduced hours and will cap spending at £25.
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.
Subscribe to scotsman.com and enjoy unlimited access to Scottish news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Visit https://www.scotsman.com/subscriptions now to sign up.
Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.