Saima Ahmed may have visited Portobello before disappearing

POLICE investigating the death of a woman whose body was found in Edinburgh five months after she disappeared from London are examining a possible sighting of her in the period she was missing.

Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 10:31 pm
Updated Wednesday, 29th June 2016, 11:38 pm
CCTV image showing Saima on Platform 1 in Wembley Central on the 30th August last year. Picture: supplied

The death of Saima Ahmed remains unexplained after her body was discovered in January in Edinburgh – 400 miles from her Wembley home.

The 36-year-old was reported missing in August by her family, who say they have no idea why she would have travelled to the Scottish capital.


Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Saima Ahmed. Picture: supplied

Police Scotland believe Ms Ahmed died close to the time she was reported missing at the end of August but post-mortem tests have resulted in an “unascertainable” cause of death.

Her brother Sadat appealed for information on a BBC Crimewatch Roadshow programme on Wednesday morning. He said: “Saima was a very loving, caring person, part of a very close family and we’re all just devastated at what has happened.

“There was nothing we, as a family, recognised out of the ordinary. Everything was normal, she left home and nothing was any different.

“As a family we have discussed it and we have absolutely no idea why she would travel to Edinburgh, we have no family links there. It’s just the not knowing that’s been really difficult.”

Saima Ahmed. Picture: supplied

Ms Ahmed, a librarian who lived with her parents and brother, was last seen on August 30 on CCTV boarding a train at Wembley Central station instead of going to work.

Detectives believe she 
took further trains to Edinburgh, likely via Hemel Hempstead and Birmingham, although her exact route is not known.

Her remains were found at Gogar Mount House on 9 January. Mr Sadat appeared on Crimewatch alongside Police Scotland Detective Chief Inspector Martin MacLean, who said new information was that Ms Sadat bought a ticket at Birmingham New Street Station at about 5pm on Sunday, 30 August.

Officers believe she then boarded one of two Edinburgh-bound services scheduled for later the same day.

Saima Ahmed. Picture: supplied

The inquiry team is also working on an unconfirmed sighting of Ms Sadat at Portobello beach around August 31.

A member of the public spoke with a woman who was walking alone and closely matched the 36-year-old’s description, although the exact date is unknown.

Mr MacLean said that Saima’s death remains ­unexplained.

Saima Ahmed. Picture: supplied