Shocked Edinburgh resident shares images of her fire ravaged stairwell

A horrified Edinburgh resident has shared pictures of her flat stairwell ravaged by fire.

Saturday, 15th September 2018, 8:49 pm
Updated Saturday, 15th September 2018, 8:56 pm
The fire in a Muirhouse stairwell.

The resident, who does not wish to be named, said the blaze at Muirhouse View this afternoon had completely destroyed parts of the flat.

She says fire fighters warned her the fire could have been caused by badly fitted front doors.

Read More

Read More
Nicola Sturgeon urged to announce Scottish independence referendum

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The stairwell was damaged.


She told the Evening News: “A fire officer said our front doors weren’t properly fitted as smoke was getting into our property through fire proof doors. All of our flats are council, it was lucky it was during the day as if it was night time I don’t think everyone would have got out.

“The whole stairwell is damaged,” she added.

Fire, police and ambulance crews all attended the incident just after 10.30am.

According to reports, a firefighter was seen carrying a young child down a ladder from a second-floor flat.

Eyewitness accounts said a burnt-out motorcycle could be seen in the stairwell of the block of flats.