Tributes to '˜lovely wee boy' after seven-year-old dies

EMOTIONAL tributes were paid to a seven-year-old boy who collapsed at an Edinburgh bus stop and died despite frantic attempts to save him.

Wednesday, 11th April 2018, 3:15 pm
Updated Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 3:26 pm

Heartbroken relatives posted on social media as Harris McGurk was named as the schoolboy who succumbed on Saturday.

It was claimed yesterday that he fell ill while heading home from a soft play party, reported to have been in celebration of his older brother’s tenth birthday.

His parents were too distraught to comment, Police Scotland said.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The spot on Constitution Street where young Harris collapsed. Picture: Neil Hanna

Emergency services had rushed to the scene just after 5.30pm, but the youngster died later in the evening despite emergency treatment at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children.

Constitution Street was cordoned off for three hours after the incident with a police officer on duty to redirect traffic.

The bus stop was taped off until 9pm.

Harris and his family are believed to have been heading home from a nearby soft play centre around the corner on Easter Road.

The reason for the sudden illness is not known but the death is not thought to be suspicious.

Family friend Ann Boyd commented on Facebook that he was “A lovely wee boy from a very loving family”.

She added: “On his brother’s birthday too.

“I haven’t been able to stop thinking of them.

“RIP wee man.”

Others also paid tribute.

Pamela Penman wrote: “Rest in paradise, wee dude. You will be missed in your classroom by all your wee friends.”

The family have requested privacy to let them grieve their loss.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Police in Edinburgh were in attendance at Constitution Street around 5.40pm on Saturday, April 7 after a child was taken unwell.

“The boy was taken to the Sick Kids Hospital where he sadly died a short time later. There are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances. Inquiries are ongoing into the full circumstances and the death is currently being treated as unexplained.”