Tributes paid to Edinburgh charity worker

Friends of a charity worker have expressed their shock after he died suddenly while volunteering in Tanzania.

Thursday, 28th July 2016, 1:23 pm
Updated Thursday, 28th July 2016, 2:27 pm
Ivan Salvesen had been helping build homes in Tanzania. Picture; contributed

“Kind” and “generous” Iver Salvesen had been helping to build homes for orphan children in the African country when he collapsed following an early-morning jog.

The 47-year-old who was working with the Edinburgh-based charity the Vine Trust died on his way to the hospital.

Having built a straw bale house for one of his workers at Muirhouse Farm near Stow, Borders, where he lived with his wife Wendy and three children, he had almost completed another building at the site when he left for Tanzania.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Willie McPherson, chief executive of the Vine Trust, said: “While participating in a Vine Trust expedition to construct homes for orphan children in the Moshi district of Tanzania, Iver tragically took ill and died after an early-morning jog with fellow volunteers on Monday, July 11.

“Iver, with his background in construction and ecological techniques, was part of the Trust’s 100 homes programme and was keen to bring his expertise to hand to make it as successful as possible.”

“It is an absolute tragedy, and we are all shocked by the tragic events.”

Friends have taken to Facebook to express their sadness at the news.

Katie Cripwell wrote: “I’m utterly gutted.

“Fun, kind, generous, with such infectious enthusiasm, Iver, we will miss you.”

Susanna MacInnes posted: “Dearest Iver, I can’t believe you’ve gone. You had the biggest heart, and a most generous disposition. You leave a hole in our hearts.

“Thank you for being you, for believing you could make a difference to the lives around you and further afield and for making it happen.”

Iver flew to Tanzania on July 7 and shared several updates of his volunteering work on his Facebook page in the days leading up to his death.

A memorial service took place at St Mary’s Parish Church in Haddington, East Lothian, yesterday.