Woman hospitalised after ingesting chemicals in work-related incident in Musselburgh

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
A woman in her 40s was taken to hospital in Edinburgh after ingesting chemicals at her workplace in Musselburgh.

Paramedics were called alongside The Scottish Ambulance Incident Response Unit to the town's Market Street just before 7pm on Thursday night.

It is believed the woman accidentally ingested chemicals at her workplace - but the type of substance concerned is not known.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Specialist units who deal with hazardous materials were deployed but it was established that the incident was isolated and of no threat to the public.

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: "We received a call at 6:56pm to attend an incident on Market Street, Musselburgh.

"We dispatched one ambulance and our special operations response team to the scene and one female patient in her 40s was taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for further assessment."

The woman's injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

Police said they were not involved in the incident.

The Health and Safety Executive has also been contacted for comment.

The woman's place of work is not known at this stage.