Quiz: 21 questions about the Edinburgh pubs and bars we're all missing
Just because we can’t currently pop into a pub for pint doesn’t mean we can’t look forward to once again enjoying Edinburgh’s amazing choice of watering holes.
While we’re all waiting for normality to return we thought we’d set a quiz about the city's boozers. How many of these pubs can you identify?
Why not share the questions with friends, or use them to stage your own pub pub quiz?
The answers are at the bottom of the page.
1) What pub, whose clientelle includes a ghostly girl in a red dress, is reputed to be Edinburgh’s most haunted boozer?
2) What is Edinburgh’s oldest pub – the 7th oldest in the world?
3) What is Inspector Rebus’ favourite watering hole?
4) What pub’s name provided inspiration to author Robert Louis Stevenson?
5) What pub is named due to its proximity to the square where criminals were formerly executed?
6) In what pub might you get a monstrously shocking surprise at midnight?
7) Which New Town pub is a regular in Alexander McCall Smith’s ‘44 Scotland Street’ series?
8) What pub has its own gin distillery?
9) In which pub would you be if you were sitting in the Little Kremlin?
10) What pub is named after Edinburgh’s most loyal resident?
11) Which Edinburgh pub is ranked number one on Tripadvisor?
12) Which pub’s name means ‘a solitary male fairy’.
13) In which pub might you find yourself sitting next to the door of an enormous bank vault?
14) What pub includes a 50-seater cinema?
15) Which pub is known as ‘The Diggers’ by locals, due to it’s location between two graveyards?
16) Which pub was formerly a residence of King James I?
17) Which pub offers the warning: “no smoking, no credit cards, no mobile phones, no backpackers”?
18) Which pub is housed in a former parsonage?
19) Which pub is mentioned in Irvine Welsh’s book Filth? The author took actor James McAvoy there for a pint while he was filming the adaptation.
20) What pub will be forever associated with an infamous 1970s crime?
21) What is considered to be the highest pub in Edinburgh?
1) The White Heart Inn.
2) The Sheep Heid Inn.
3) The Oxford Bar.
4) Deacon Brodie’s Tavern.
5) The Last Drop.
7) The Cumberland Bar.
8) The Royal Dick.
10) Greyfriars Bobby.
11) The Piper’s Rest.
12) The Ghillie Dhu.
13) The Standing Order.
14) The Banshee Labyrinth.
15) The Athletic Arms.
16) The King’s Wark.
17) The Canny Man’s.
19) Wilkies Bar.
20) The World’s End.
21) The Ensign Ewart.