Mikaeel’s father denies fight with tragic Sheku Bayoh

THE FATHER of tragic toddler Mikaeel Kular has broken his silence over claims he fought with his best friend, Sheku Bayoh, in the early hours before he died.
Sheku Bayoh. Picture: HEMEDIASheku Bayoh. Picture: HEMEDIA
Sheku Bayoh. Picture: HEMEDIA

Zahid Saeed, who lost his three-year old son last January, said claims suggesting he might have caused the injuries found on his friend’s body are “lies, terrible lies.”

He told the Sunday Mail: “I am devastated and very angry.

“Sheku was always there for me.

Zahid Saeed. Picture: Ian GeorgesonZahid Saeed. Picture: Ian Georgeson
Zahid Saeed. Picture: Ian Georgeson

“I just wish I could have been there for him.”

Sheku Bayoh was pronounced dead on May 3 after being restrained by nine police officers, who used batons and CS spray to control him.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He had been reported to police early in the morning by a taxi driver for brandishing a knife.

According to a post mortem, it was revealed Sheku had taken ecstasy beforehand.

But his best friend Zahid, has now detailed the events of May 2, the night before he died.

He said they had both attended Sheku’s niece’s birthday party.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

They left the house in Kirkcaldy, around 10pm, to go to one of their friends houses to watch the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao title fight.

But as the night wore on, Sheku began “acting out of character” and eventually left the friend’s house, according to 31 year-old Zahid.

He said: “I was concerned and followed him shortly after.

“It’s the only time I’ve seen Sheku act in such a way

People may question this but it is simply the truth.

“I caught up with Sheku at his house - and, at this point, I tried to calm him and he lashed out at me.

“It appeared as if he was scared or upset.

“He punched me a few times but I did not hit him once and am extremely angry at any suggestion or inference that I did.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“It is an attempt to plant a seed in people’s minds that the main injuries found on Sheku’s face, head and body, could have been caused by something other than his contact with the police.

“I left Sheku’s house about 6.30am to go back to Methil and that is the last time I saw him.”

Zahid said Sheku had supported him following the death of his three-year-old son Mikaeel, who was tragically killed by his mother Rosdeep Adekoya last January.