114 years of hurt: Hibs' last ten Scottish Cup finals

Alan Stubbs' team will be looking to end a run of TEN consecutive Scottish Cup final defeats when they face Rangers at Hampden on Saturday. Here we look at how the Hibees have fared since last lifting the trophy in 1902 ..

Friday, 20th May 2016, 10:02 am
Updated Friday, 20th May 2016, 11:07 am
Celtic's Dixie Deans celebrates scoring against Hibs in 1972
Celtic's Dixie Deans celebrates scoring against Hibs in 1972

April 16, 1914

Celtic 4, Hibs 1 (replay)


Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

After the two sides couldn’t be separated in a dour 0-0 draw five days earlier, champions Celtic outclassed Hibs in the replay. The Hibees, under the charge of Irish boss Dan McMichael – the last manager to deliver the Scottish Cup – were 2-0 down after just 11 minutes following a Jimmy McColl double. John Browning put Celtic three up before the interval and added a fourth after the break. Hibs pulled a goal back through William Smith.

Hibs: Allan, Girdwood, Templeton, Kerr, Paterson, Grossert, Wilson, Fleming, Hendron, Wood, Smith.

March 31, 1923

Celtic 1, Hibs 0, Hampden

Celtic edged this encounter thanks to Joe Cassidy’s second-half strike. Goalkeeper Bill Harper was at fault for the solitary goal which ended Hibs’ hopes after 65 minutes. The stopper came to collect a cross, but mistimed his attempted intervention completely, with the ball dropping nicely for Cassidy, who headed into an empty net.

Hibs: Harper, McGinnigle, Dornan, Kerr, Miller, Shaw, Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Walker.

April 19, 1924

Airdrieonians 2, Hibs 0


Hibs suffered consecutive Scottish Cup final heartache as Airdrieonians secured their first and only national cup triumph. Willie Russell was the difference between the two teams, with his first-half double ensuring the cup stayed in the west of Scotland.

Hibs: Harper, McGrinnigle, Dornan, Kerr, Miller, Shaw, Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Walker.

April 19, 1947

Aberdeen 2, Hibs 1


Aberdeen won their first Scottish Cup in their first final appearance against a Hibs side which had taken the lead after only 25 seconds. George Taylor passed back to his goalkeeper George Johnstone, who fumbled to allow Hibs forward Jock Cuthbertson in to score. In the 35th minute, South African winger Stan Williams crossed in for George Hamilton, who headed into the net. Aberdeen got what was to prove the winner shortly before half-time as Williams skipped past two defenders before shooting beyond Jimmy Kerr at his near post. Despite having Willie Ormond, Gordon Smith and Eddie Turnbull, pictured below – later to become part of the Famous Five – Hibs couldn’t find an equaliser.

Hibs: Kerr, Govan, Shaw, Howie, Aird, Kean, Smith, Finnigan, Cuthbertson, Turnbull, Ormond.

April 20, 1958

Clyde 1, Hibs 0


A skilful Clyde overcame Hibs, who had lost one of their most influential players in Andy Aitken after only 15 minutes. The Hibees took another spot of misfortune with what proved to be the winning goal for Clyde. The Bully Wee’s dangerous centre forward John Coyle was troubling the Hibs defence and his shot from just outside the box deflected into the net via the boot of John Baxter.

Hibs: Leslie, Grant, McClelland, Turnbull, Plenderleith, Baxter, Fraser, Aitken, Baker, Preston, Ormond.

May 6, 1972

Celtic 6, Hibs 1


Celtic crushed Hibs with a devastating performance, striker Dixie Deans grabbing a hat-trick. Billy McNeil slammed home the opener after only two minutes, but Hibs levelled through Alan Gordon on 11 minutes. Celtic regained the lead midway through the first half when Deans headed home. Ten minutes into the second half, a mix-up between keeper Jim Herriot and defender John Brownlie allowed Deans to make it 3-1. Deans then grabbed his hat-trick before Lou Macari notched a double in the final ten minutes.

Hibs: Herriot, Brownlie, Black, Blackley, Schaedler, Edwards, Stanton, Hazel, Duncan, O’Rourke, Gordon.

May 28, 1979

Rangers 3, Hibs 2


Rangers required two replays and extra time to overcome a resilient Hibs side. A goal apiece for Tony Higgins and Ally McLeod wasn’t enough for the Easter Road side. Two goals for Rangers defender Derek Johnstone and an own goal from Hibs defender Arthur Duncan in extra time brought the trophy back to Ibrox. The original match had ended 0-0 as did the second replay.

Hibs: McArthur, Brazil, Stewart, McNamara. Duncan, Bremner, Rae, Callachan, Higgins, McLeod, Campbell.

May 26, 2001

Celtic 3, Hibs 0


Henrik Larsson scored two goals as Celtic secured the treble in Martin O’Neil’s first season in charge of the Parkhead club. Jackie McNamara had given Celtic the lead before half-time when he angled his shot past Hibs goalkeeper Nick Colgan, below. Three minutes after the restart, Larsson doubled Celtic’s lead with a left-foot shot into the top corner before the Swede wrapped up the win with a penalty after he had been brought down by Gary Smith with ten minutes remaining.

Hibs: Colgan, Smith, Sauzee, Fenwick, Laursen, O’Neil, Jack, Brebner, Murray, Libbra, Paatelainen.

May 19, 2012

Hibs 1, Hearts 5


Hibs met Capital rivals Hearts for just the second time in the Scottish Cup final since 1896. Darren Barr gave Hearts the lead on 15 minutes with Czech star Rudi Skacel doubling the lead soon after. James McPake gave Hibs a lifeline shortly before half-time but disaster struck for Hibs as Pa Kujabi hauled down Hearts winger Suso Santana with referee Craig Thomson pointing to the spot despite the winger appearing to be fouled outside the area. Kujabi was sent off for a second booking as Hearts left-back Danny Grainger stepped up to make it three for the Jambos before further strikes from Ryan McGowan, and Skacel again, secured a historic victory for Hearts.

Hibs: Brown, Docherty, Hanlon, McPake, Kujabi, Soares, Claros, Stevenson, Osbourne, O’Connor, Griffiths.

May 26, 2013

Hibs 0, Celtic 3


Hibs’ hoodoo continued as the Parkhead club secured the double. Hibs could have taken the lead through Eoin Doyle, but his header was stopped by a fantastic save from Fraser Forster. Poor defending let Gary Hooper in for the opener a short time after. A crucial second arrived when Anthony Stokes crossed for Hooper to head home before Joe Ledley lashed into the top corner.

Hibs: Williams, McGivern, Hanlon, Maybury, Forster, Claros, Taiwo, Harris, Thomson, Griffiths, Doyle.