Amateur wrap: Redpath Albion boost survival hopes

Redpath Albion gave their Lothian East survival hopes an almighty boost as they came from behind to defeat fellow strugglers Dunedin Athletic 3-2 at Forrester High School.

Tuesday, 3rd May 2016, 5:30 am
Redpath Albion showed all their resolve as they defeated relegation rivals Dunedin Athletic 3-2

Dunedin started brighter and Colin Chalmers finished from close range to give them the lead, but by the half-hour mark Albion were back in business as they rallied to earn an equaliser. Chris Riley played a ball forward down the right and Jamie Archibald hit the ball sweetly on the half-volley to make it 1-1.

Albion came out strongly in the second half, showing more desire than their opponents to take the lead. A goalmouth stramash in the Athletic box finally ended with the ball in the net as Archibald slid in from five yards past keeper Scott Downie.

The momentum was with the visitors and they soon made it 3-1 to all but seal the win with ten minutes left. Archibald turned provider with a crossfield ball to Chris Martin and he provided a smart finish from eight yards.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Athletic pulled a goal back through Lyall Menzies’ penalty, but Albion saw out the final 
minutes to take a huge three points in their battle for survival.

• Edinburgh Rose booked a hard-earned spot in the Centenary Cup semi-finals with a 4-0 victory over Danderhall Miners at Forrester High School.

After succumbing to a 4-1 defeat to their opponents in midweek, Rose were keen to bounce back and they began the game strongly, taking the lead ten minutes in through Liam Frost.

That was the only goal of the first half and when the second period got going it was more of the same as the ball went back and forth with both sides 
defending resolutely.

But with 20 minutes to go Rose grabbed another, undoing Hall’s resolve. Craig Stewart sent a low ball across the face of goal which Frost stabbed in to make his side’s advantage that bit more comfortable.

Rose grabbed another shortly after. Once again Stewart supplied the ammunition and Alan Smith volleyed home his side’s third in the area.

It was game over for Hall and Rose wrapped up a solid winning margin with another as Jon Laidlaw’s close-range shot rattled the Hall crossbar before deflecting in.

• Clermiston Star took another step closer to promotion as they came from 2-0 down to defeat Penicuik Athletic at Clermiston Park.

Within a few minutes of the game being under way, Star found themselves 1-0 down as a long throw into the box allowed Athletic’s David Horne to get up and nod the ball in.

Things then went from bad to worse as Star conceded another not long after. A well-weighted forward pass was chased down by midfielder Steven Bald and he slotted past Willie Turner.

Star got back into it midway through the first half. Lee Heinemeier was played through on goal, but he unselfishly squared the ball for Ryan Stevens to round the Penicuik goalie David Livie and pick out the empty net.

Star continued to drive forward and it wasn’t long before they got another. Johnny Downie followed up David Lewis’ shot to send the ball into the goal from two yards.

With the momentum in their favour, there was only one team that looked like scoring before the half was up and that was Star. With five minutes to go they made it 3-2 as Downie struck once again with a 25-yard shot that flew into the Athletic goal.

There were no more goals and just one more win for Star in the next three games will guarantee promotion to the Championship.