Big result for Tynie as Vale are crushed

Tynecastle FC 16s have the upper hand on rivals Hutchison Vale after a convincing 4-2 victory at Saughton moved them four points clear at the top of SERYFA Division 1.

A resounding first-half performance had the boys in maroon going in at the break 4-1 in front with a Hutchie comeback failing to materialise despite scoring three minutes into the second period.

Tynecastle coach Douglas Ormston was thrilled with his players’ efforts and felt his side fully merited their victory.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said: “In the first half we took our chances, played really well and thoroughly deserved to go in at the break with our lead. The second half was a stuffy affair, but I thought we defended magnificently so I’m really chuffed. Hutchie are going to be one of our main rivals so to get three points at this stage of the season is great.”

The match started at a lively pace with the ball down at both goal areas on a number of occasions. However, Tynecastle began to threaten and a superb run and pass from captain Craig Russell created space for Jason Kerr, but the midfielder fired high over Hutchie goalkeeper John Manderson’s crossbar when he should have hit the target at the very least.

Confusion in the Hutchie defence presented Greg Kerr with a full view on Manderson’s goal and the striker’s shot almost crept in with the Hutchie No. 1 having to gather the ball at the second time of asking as it bobbled about on the goal line.

Tynecastle did take the lead and it was a strike Ryan Currie couldn’t have caught any sweeter. The youngster picked up a loose ball from fully 25 yards and his right-footed effort flew into the top corner via Manderson’s fingertips.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hutchie’s Ryan Weston then beat defender Tony Milne to the ball and with goalkeeper Billy Taylor off his line, Weston tried to chip his opponent, but failed to find the target as his effort drifted wide.

However, Hutchie did make it count on their next attack. Weston’s intended pass to Ethan Nicolson was cut out by Tynecastle’s David Wright, but the defender’s touch was slack and Nicolson gained possession to advance into the penalty area and slot past Taylor to level at 1-1.

It only took three minutes for Tynecastle to regain the initiative from a move which began in their own penalty box.

Taylor launched a long kick out which caused confusion in the Hutchie defence and Greg Kerr nipped in to take advantage with a neat finish from the outside of his foot.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Tynecastle’s third duly arrived two minutes later. A dangerous free-kick from Russell was met by the towering Jason Kerr who powered a strong header into the bottom corner past Manderson from six yards.

Victory was sealed only moments later when Tynecastle added a fourth much to the dismay of the Hutchie players. Similarly to the maroon side’s opening goal, a loose ball was picked up by Mark Shiells and his long-range effort could only be palmed into the net by Manderson.

Hutchie provided a ray of hope right at the beginning of the second half when they snatched a goal to reduce the score to 4-2. A long clearance over the Tynecastle defence saw Weston use his pace to win his race to the ball ahead of Taylor before lobbing the ball into the empty net.

Despite having enough possession, Hutchie failed to carve out any clear-cut chances that would see them make any further inroads into Tynecastle’s lead. However, it was the home side who should have added to their tally when Greg Kerr found Currie, but his effort from ten yards failed to trouble Manderson.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Tynecastle FC: Billy Taylor, David Wright, Alex Bertram, Craig Russell, Jaimie Purves, Jason Kerr, Greg Kerr, Kyle Mitchell, Mark Shiells, Euan Graham, Ryan Currie, Tony Milne, Robbie Simpson, David Henderson.

Hutchison Vale: John Manderson, Jack Philip, Callum McArthur, Greg Binnie, Adam Forrest, Ethan Nicolson, Ross McCann, Ryan Weston, Liam Howel, Samuel Jones, Michael Hutchison, Connor Lawrie, Liam Dunn, Connor Campbell, Asam Mohammed, Isaac Thomson.

Related topics: