Bluebirds fly to their 14th victory of the campaign

Impressive Bluebird AFC notched up their 14th league win of the season with a 7-1 victory over Castleview Star in the EADSAFA Second Division on Sunday.

A brace a piece from Alexander Heath and Lee Hunter were supplemented by strikes from Paul Murray, James Hunter and Stuart Kidd at a windswept Saughton 3G.

Castleview skipper Derek Tait replied from the penalty spot, but it was to prove little more than a consolation in a game that saw referee Darrel Lamb award three penalties.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The match began in lively fashion and indeed it wasn’t long before the deadlock was broken. After Star defender Nathan Smith was alleged to have pushed Paul Murray inside the area, referee Lamb pointed to the spot after ten minutes.

The striker, affectionately known as ‘Mowgli’ took the kick himself and made no mistake, clinically dispatching from 12 yards.

Castleview had an outside chance to level soon after when defender Daniel McCann strolled forward, and he was unlucky to see his left footed drive strike goalkeeper Richard Hogg’s crossbar. But it was league leaders Bluebird who continued to impress and they soon doubled their advantage.

After Paul Murray’s left footed drive looked to be dragging wide, right-midfielder James Hunter appeared at the back post to fire home from close range. Star were handed an opportunity to pull one back soon after, but Michael Osbourne’s spot kick was well saved by Hogg, after Tait had been brought down inside the box.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The second period proved to be decisive as Bluebird clicked into gear and began to show their quality. Alex Heath made it 3-0 after a good header from James Hunter’s corner. Star did pull a goal back on 52 minutes when Tait’s left-footed penalty sent Hogg the wrong way, but it would be Bluebird who dominated from there on in.

Heath doubled his tally for the day with a strike on the hour mark, before substitute Lee Hunter bagged a double of his own to make it 6-1. Stuart Kidd added a seventh with virtually the last kick of the match.

Bluebird manager Trevor Bennett said: “We played reasonably well, we’re not a bad outfit once we get started. All the lads played well.”

Castleview boss Stuart Rendall was gracious in defeat, saying: “We played okay in the first half and should have been level at half-time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“They made good use of the wind in the first half and the pressure got to us in the end.”

Bluebird AFC: Richard Hogg (GK), Robert Johnstone, Jamie Meechan, Stuart Kidd, James Hunter, Peter Gilhooley, Alexander Heath, James Aird, Lee Cairns, Robert Bennett, Shaun Cairns, Lee Hunter, Paul Murray, Keith Cairns, Jak Robertson.

Castleview Star AFC: John Dewar (GK), William Barclay, Tony Chalmers, Nathan Smith, Daniel McCann, Kevin Weddell, Derek Tait, Chris Melbourne, John Donaghy, Michael Osbourne, Darren O’Donnell, Darren Gormley, Brad Leston, David Dodds, Kevin White, Scott Gordon.

Referee: Darrel Lamb.