City boss laments missed opportunity for first win

Edinburgh City boss laments missed opportunity for first win

Monday, 31st October 2016, 5:30 am
Updated Monday, 31st October 2016, 8:54 am
Ouzy See scored for Edinburgh City at Station Park

A first-half strike from top scorer Ouzy See looked like it could have earned three points against the league leaders, only for Danny Denholm’s second-half leveller to result in a second draw between the sides in seven days. The teams meet again in a Scottish Cup second-round replay tomorrow night.

A number of missed opportunities in a 15-minute second-half spell proved costly for the visitors. “We had chances in-between our goal and Forfar getting the equaliser and you need to take them,” Jardine said. “We were confident we’d get chances and we did, but we were unfortunate not to take them. When you’re at the top end of the league and your strikers are high on confidence, you don’t think twice when those chances come round. Maybe Ouzy thought too much about his opportunities when he went through. He had a good game though.

“We could have been one down before we scored as Forfar had chances from set pieces, but after that we had more than enough chances to put the game to bed.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Stuart Malcolm thought he’d opened the scoring for Forfar early after City failed to clear a corner, but his goal-bound trundler was booted off the line by Ian McFarland.

Fotheringham followed up with a more accurate shot that need Andrew Stobie to acrobatically tip over for a corner. From that, Loons debutante Eoghan McCawl, on-loan from St Johnstone, fired a dipping volley narrowly over.

The hosts were looking more assured in possession, and Stobie had to look sharp to hold a Jim Lister header after David Cox stood a cross.

It was by no means one-way traffic though, evidenced by City taking the lead on 25 minutes. Craig Beattie was afforded time to cushion the ball through for See, who checked to avoid the challenging defenders before lobbing Grant Adam.

Beattie almost doubled the advantage minutes later, bouncing a volley in to the ground on it’s way to the far corner before Adam palmed it away with two strong hands. A lovely turn from a See pass had Beattie in again, but Adam once more denied him, this time with his feet.

See almost netted his and City’s second just after the hour. Malcolm didn’t get enough on his header back to Adam, and the wiry striker got a toe to it ahead of the keeper, but could watched as it rolled agonisingly wide of the post. He was in behind again immediately, showing wonderful feet before trying to slide home, but Adam did well to save with his legs.

The Capital side were a menace on the break, Jordan Caddow sending a header straight at Adam after a searching ball from Beattie to the back post, before See again put a low effort straight at Adam.

The missed chances proved costly when Forfar levelled with 20 minutes remaining. Gavin Swankie’s pin-point delivery picked out Denholm’s back post run, and the former City player thumped a diving header past Stobie.

Andy Munro headed what he thought was a Forfar winner with five to go, and was off celebrating before finally being alerted to the offside flag.

Forfar Athletic: Adam, Warwick (Peters 80), O’Brien, Munro, Malcolm, Fotheringham, Cox, McCawl, Lister, Swankie, Denholm (Scott 89).

Edinburgh City: Stobie, Caddow, Mbu, Porteous, Laird, McKee, McFarland, Gair, Beattie (Allum 81), See (Guthrie 87), McConnell (Muhsin 69).

Referee: Scott Millar