Edinburgh City: Hairdryer treatment has desired effect

Edinburgh City boss James McDonaugh admitted he had a huge sense of relief after watching his side twice come from behind to see off Albion Rovers 3-2.
Edinburgh Citys Allan Smith, left, challenges Jason Krones for the ballEdinburgh Citys Allan Smith, left, challenges Jason Krones for the ball
Edinburgh Citys Allan Smith, left, challenges Jason Krones for the ball

The Citizens were all set to lose ground on league leaders Cove Rangers until

Blair Henderson converted a 93rd-minute winner from

the penalty spot at Ainslie Park.

McDonaugh revealed he let rip at half-time following Scott Roberts’ 38th-minute opener for the visitors, although his dressing down had the desired effect as Danny Handling restored parity, the first penalty of the afternoon, three minutes after the restart. Kevin Harper’s men restored their lead ten minutes later through Daniel Scally but substitutes Jonny Court and then Henderson won it at the death.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

McDonaugh was thrilled to take maximum points but was left perplexed by some of

referee Steven Reid’s decisions.

“I think I nearly wrecked the changing room at half-time,” McDonaugh said. “We were so bad in the first half and didn’t do nearly enough. We played far more effectively after the break and we got back into the game really quickly.

“But I can’t for the life of me work out we didn’t have a second penalty just after that when Scott Shepherd was taken out and then they go up the park and regain the lead, so it was a huge point in the game.

“I think the players deserve enormous credit for their character. I just had a feeling we were going to do it, even at 2-1 down. I think we deserved to win, no matter how late it was. You could see what it

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

meant to the players and the importance of picking up three points.”

Albion carved out the limited clearcut chances there was in a fairly tame opening 45 minutes, Roberts prodding in from close range despite the best efforts of Chris Kane.

The second half was barely three minutes old when Scally wiped out Callum Crane and Handling finished with ease from 12 yards before Shepherd went down under a cynical foul from goalkeeper Ryan Goodfellow. However, no penalty was awarded.

Scally then made amends at the other end as the winger restored Albion’s lead but the introduction of Court and Henderson paid dividends for City.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Henderson’s glancing header hit a post before Court rifled the hosts level with ten minutes left to play and Henderson won it after drawing the foul himself.

Edinburgh City: McAdams, Balatoni, Laird, Smith (McIntyre 62), Brown, Handling, Crane, Kane, Stewart (Court 71) , Shepherd, Harris (B Henderson 62). Subs: Beveridge, Sinclair, Wilson, L Henderson.

Albion Rovers: Goodfellow, Fagan (Home 74), Clarke, Wharton, Krones, Phillips, Roberts, Lynas, East, Byrne, Scally (Graham 86). Subs: Potts,

Doherty, See, Osadolor, Fee.

Referee: Steven Reid.

Attendance: 386.