Maroon Memories: Victory after Elvis leaves the building

Hearts 4, Motherwell 1. SPL. Saturday, December 9, 2006

Saturday, 7th December 2019, 6:00 am
Mark Reynolds battles Bruno Aguiar for the ball
Mark Reynolds battles Bruno Aguiar for the ball

HEARTS moved on from the departure of captain Steven Pressley to record a fine victory after the uncertainty which had dominated the build-up to this match.

Pressley left after months of disagreement with Hearts’ majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov. The Scotland internationalist had spoken out after complaining of unrest amongst the first-team squad with Romanov said to be interfering with team selection.

The treatment of Pressley may have been nothing short of disgraceful but his unsavoury departure was counter-balanced by something of a minor renaissance on the field which supplied some evidence that things were starting to click in a footballing context, despite the internal political battles at Hearts.

Sign up to our Hearts newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

This victory was the Jambos’ first in ten matches and their first victory under head coach Valdas Ivanauskas since the Lithuanian’s return from leave.

Five of his countreymen began the match in maroon for the first time, and they performed competently, in some cases excellently. But each was usurped by the rampant Bruno Aguiar, who thrived in the advanced midfield role given to him as a consequence of Paul Hartley’s suspension.

The absence of both Pressley and Hartley had filled many supporters with dread, but Aguiar and others stepped up to the mark and at times overwhelmed Motherwell.

In the ninth minute, Takis Fyssas sauntered past Neil McCann to take a pass from the Scot and competently dispatched the ball into the net off Colin Meldrum’s left-hand post. It was a finish any striker would have cherished and brought Fyssas his first goal for Hearts. The Greek full-back celebrated with a run almost the length of the Tynecastle pitch.

Motherwell were initially slow to respond, but in their first attack David Clarkson broke free of Marius Zaliukas, and his cross was poked into the net by Richie Foran from close range. It was to be the visitors’ only shot on target.

Hearts were totally dominant from then to the interval without fashioning many clear opportunities. They did benefit immensely from the improved attitude and application of striker Edgaras Jankauskas, who was combative and industrious until his substitution after 73 minutes.

Referee Craig Mackay incurred the wrath of the home fans with some confusing decisions and appeared reluctant to book Motherwell’s Paul Quinn in the 55th minute for a foul on Fyssas. However, after hearing the Greek’s complaints he produced the yellow card and Quinn’s misery was compounded from the resultant free-kick by Aguiar as he flicked the ball into his own net.

Hearts had been gifted the lead and two minutes later they constructed a superb third goal. Aguiar’s incisive pass was central to the move as he sent Andrius Velicka in behind the Motherwell centre-backs. Showing a fine turn of pace, the Lithuanian latched on to the ball and calmly lofted it over Meldrum from 18 yards.

Then, when it seemed Aguiar’s afternoon couldn’t be bettered, he struck another sublime free kick from 25 yards that rendered Meldrum helpless.

Hearts: C Gordon, N Barasa, I Tall, M Zaliukas, P Fyssas, S Mikoliunas, J Brellier, B Aguiar, N McCann (A Driver, 81), E Jankauskas (M Pospisil, 73), A Velicka (J Mole, 77). Subs not used:J Goncalves, S Banks, R Neilson, H Karipidis.

Motherwell: C Meldrum, P Quinn, S Craigan, M Reynolds, J Paterson, R Foran, M Corrigan (D Smith, 80), B Kerr, S McGarry (M Fitzpatrick, 69), D Clarkson, S McDonald. Subs not used:K Connolly, A Coakley, R McCormack, W Kinniburgh, G Smith.

Referee: Craig MacKay.

Attendance: 16,753.