Five previous meetings between Hibs and Forfar Athletic

Despite Hibs being founded in 1875 and Forfar Athletic a decade later, the two teams have only met 11 times in all competitions.
Hibs travel to Forfar tonight for a Betfred Cup tie - the first competitive meeting between the sides since 1971Hibs travel to Forfar tonight for a Betfred Cup tie - the first competitive meeting between the sides since 1971
Hibs travel to Forfar tonight for a Betfred Cup tie - the first competitive meeting between the sides since 1971

The Easter Road side can boast eight wins, while the Loons have just a single victory to their name. The most recent encounter was nearly 50 years ago. We take a look at five previous meetings.

Hibs 6, Forfar Athletic 1; Easter Road, November 24 1894

An estimated crowd of 2,000 spectators took in the first meeting between the two teams - a Scottish Cup first-round tie at Easter Road on a foggy afternoon in November.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Evening News match report stated: "Six goals to one was the score, but that gives but an inadequate idea of the superiority of the Easter Road players".

Hibs opened the scoring through Allan Martin but the visitors equalised through McFarlane. However, a brace from William Smith, a second from Martin and a fifth from Alexander Howie gave the hosts a commanding half-time lead.

Martin completed his hat-trick in the second half as Hibs posted a 6-1 victory.

Hibs team: Donnelly; Rooney and McFarlane; Breslin, Murphy, and Neill; Murray, Kennedy, Martin, Smith, and Howie.

Hibs 5, Forfar Athletic 0; Easter Road, January 23 1907

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The second encounter between the two teams was another Scottish Cup first-round tie at Easter Road, played on a Wednesday afternoon. Forfar, then in the Northern League, accepted terms to contest the fixture midweek so as not to clash with Hearts' home tie against Airdrie on the Saturday.

A crowd of 1,500 took in the match which again resulted in a straightforward victory for the hosts. The Scotsman's match report said: "...the Athletic gave a disappointing display, and had it not been for poor finishing by the Hibernians the score against them would have been very much larger than it was."

Hibs scored thrice in the first half through McNeill, Adams, and Lawrie and twice early in the second period from Laughlan and McNeill. Maconnachie missed a penalty towards the end of the match.

Hibs team: Rennie; Main and Glen; Grieve, Maconnachie, and Harrower; Laughlan, McNeil, Adams, Lawrie, and Callaghan.

Forfar Athletic 1, Hibs 0; Station Park, August 15 1931

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The first league meeting between the two teams was the first encounter at Station Park, with the hosts triumphant.

The Earl of Strathmore was among the 2,000 spectators at Station Park to see Cabrelli's strike consign Hibs to defeat.

The Scotsman's match report sternly chastised Hibs for "poor forward play and a slowness to settle down to their game".

Brown and Friar both hit the woodwork near the end as Hibs chased a point.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hibs team: Blyth; Clark and Urquhart; Clelland, Watson, and Burke; Friar, Brown, Main, Halligan, and Bradley.

Forfar Athletic 3, Hibs 7; Station Park, January 26 1933

This cup replay was completed on an icy pitch in front of 1,700 fans at Station Park after a 2-2 draw in the first match at Easter Road.

Halligan opened the scoring just seconds after kick-off, and McPherson doubled Hibs' advantage ten minutes.

Strikes from Walls and Flucker had Hibs 4-0 up with barely half an hour played.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hibs repeated their early-scoring feat in the second period with Wallace making it five.

Preston pulled one back for Forfar and Black further reduced arrears but goals from Flucker and Wallace removed any lingering doubt of a comeback before Black grabbed a consolation third.

Hibs team: Blyth; Wilkinson and Urquhart; Langton, Watson, and McFarlane; McPherson, Wallace, Flucker, Halligan, and Walls.

Hibs 8, Forfar Athletic 1; Easter Road, January 23 1971

The last competitive meeting between the two teams was at Easter Road nearly 50 years ago. Dave Ewing's side hosted the Loons in a Scottish Cup third-round tie and ran riot in front of 7316 spectators.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Bobby Hopcroft's own goal after 22 minutes gave Hibs the lead, with Jimmy O'Rourke and Kenny Davidson scoring in quick succession to give Hibs a three-goal lead at the interval.

Davidson and O’Rourke doubled their tallies early in the second half, and O'Rourke completed his hat-trick on 68 minutes. Forfar sub Jim McNicholl reduced the deficit five minutes later, but a Stevenson penalty and an Arthur Duncan goal ensured a comprehensive victory.

Hibs team: Baines; Brownlie, Jones, Blackley, Black, Stanton, Davidson, Stevenson, Hamilton, Duncan, O’Rourke. Sub: Hazel for Stevenson

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.