Hibernian 1 – 1 Falkirk: Hibs rescue late point

MARTIN Boyle’s late strike allowed ten-man Hibs to rescue a late point at home to Falkirk in a 1-1 draw at Easter Road.

Saturday, 12th December 2015, 5:52 pm
Henri Anier celebrates Hibs' equaliser. Picture: Ian Georgeson
Henri Anier celebrates Hibs' equaliser. Picture: Ian Georgeson

Scorers: Hibs – Boyle (90); ′Falkirk – Miller (84)

John McGinn’s first half red card looked have swung the match Falkirk’s way before Lee Miller’s strike with seven minutes seemed to have won it. Boyle’s late intervention however ensured the Leith club kept oace with Rangers at the top of the table, who were also held at home to Morton.

Hibs had an early penalty claim waved away by referee Kevin Clancy after James Keatings’ shot appeared to strike Aaron Muirhead on the arm. Dominic Malongo followed that up with a well struck free kick that Danny Rogers gathered at the second attempt.

Sign up to our Hibs football newsletter

The Falkirk keeper got lucky when he let Keating’s drive squirm through his hands before going just wide of his near post. The on-loan Aberdeen keeper then got down well to block Jason Cummings’ low effort, before Hibs’ top scorer struck the post when through goal, having not noticed the off-side flag.

Rogers’ goal was being peppered somewhat, with Malonga next to fire over. Fraser Fyvie then saw his strike from the edge of the box bounce just wide after a big deflection off Peter Grant left Rogers stranded. He then produced a fine stop from McGinn after the midfielder cut in from the right and went for a gap at the near post.

That was to be the Scotland U21 international’s last positive involvement before being shown a straight red for a lunge on Mark Kerr after overrunning the ball in the Falkirk penalty area.

There was an audible sense of frustration after the break as Falkirk began to dominate possession with the extra man, Kevin Clancy and Mark Kerr bearing the brunt of the fans’ ire. That only increased when the official cautioned Cummings, who he adjudged to have dived in the Falkirk box.

Despite Oxley having little to do for the majority of the game - a long range Will Vaulks strike aside - Falkirk snatched the lead with seven minutes left. Blair Alston’s low shot was spilled by Oxley, and Lee Miller, not long off the bench, reacted quickest to the rebound to stab home from close range.

Hibs however, displayed the resilience that has them right in the mix for the Ladbrokes Championship title to snatch a point in stoppage time. Cummings’ low cross was helped on by Henri Anier, and the on-rushing Martin Boyle had the simplest of tasks in applying the finish.