Hibs chief reveals Martin Boyle conversation as he admits team missed attacker last season

Hibs have had conversations with former player Martin Boyle following Al-Faisaly’s relegation – but the situation remains out of the club’s control, according to a senior Easter Road figure.

Thursday, 21st July 2022, 12:05 am
Updated Wednesday, 27th July 2022, 7:06 pm

The Australian international joined the Saudi Arabian side in January in a move described as ‘life-changing’ for the 29-year-old, and the Capital club struggled without the services of their talisman in the second half of a disappointing season.

Al-Faisaly ended up slipping down to the second tier, but despite a number of clauses in Boyle’s contract that could accelerate a return to Edinburgh, there is nothing imminent as things stand.

The attacker’s attendance at Hibs’ Premier Sports Cup group match against Morton set tongues wagging, as did his appearance at Pittodrie for Aberdeen’s game against Raith Rovers in the same competition some days after.

Dons boss Jim Goodwin laughed off suggestions of a move for the former Montrose winger while Hibs owner Ron Gordon told the Evening News in an exclusive interview that he had spoken to Boyle head of the Ton clash.

"I saw Martin when he was at the Morton game. I said hello, told him he was looking good,” Gordon smiled.

"We love Martin. He was terrific, one of our most exciting players in a while. Certainly in the time I've been here, our most exciting player, and our best player.

"We certainly miss him, and we missed him last year. We've had conversations with him but it's out of our control.

Ron Gordon believes Hibs missed Martin Boyle in the second half of last season

"He has a contract and we can't get in the middle of that. Once that's done, maybe we can talk."