Hutchie have the edge in their latest cup thriller with Tynecastle

Hutchison Vale 15s edged out rivals Tynecastle 4-3 in an action-packed Scottish Cup fifth-round tie at Meggetland 3G.

The victorious outfit must now wait to find out their 
quarter-final opponents with Aberdeen-based side Banchory Boys still due to play their fixture with Kilsyth Athletic of North Lanarkshire.

Hutchie’s Les Trotter was happy to come through the tie in what was a typical closely-fought encounter between the sides. He said: “It was a close game but I think we edged it overall. It was a great local derby played in the right spirit in front of a great crowd.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was Tynecastle, however, who struck first when Bradley Sinclair got on the end of a long ball to score when he found space in the Hutchie penalty area. Regan Hendry then made it 1-1 when he weaved his way into the Tynecastle penalty area before slotting into the corner.

Ethan Feachen-Hamilton’s powerful run and shot then put Hutchie 2-1 ahead before Sinclair converted for a second time after he was the recipient of another pass from distance to level it up. Hendry then grabbed his second just before the break when he headed home from a free-kick to restore Hutchie’s advantage.

Hutchie then doubled their lead to 4-2 when Jack Cook got his name on the scoresheet with a header from a corner before Tynecastle’s David Lindsay showed tremendous strength to battle his way through the Hutchie defence and strike the seventh goal.

Tynecastle coach Jim Greechan said: “We only had 12 players but the boys were immense with the spirit and commitment they showed. Hutchie were the better side and deserved to go through.”

Windsor go eight clear

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Musselburgh Windsor 19s underlined their supremacy in SERYFA Division 1 after a comfortable 4-1 victory over Tynecastle at Pinkie St Peters 3G.

The East Lothian side are now eight points clear of nearest challengers Tweedmouth Juniors and have yet to taste defeat in the league this season.

The hosts edged ahead in the first minute when Ewan Ralton, who hadn’t featured since the end of October due to injury, rifled the ball into the 
top corner with a left-footed volley.

Jordon Burrows then finished off a fine move to put Musselburgh 2-0 up with a crisp 
strike before Dan Moffat’s thunderous effort from 25 yards put the home side out of reach.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Burrows then showed great trickery as he weaved in-and-out the visitors’ defence 
before finishing in style to make it 4-0.

Tynecastle did grab a consolation in the final ten minutes when Ross Gunning headed in from close range.

Musselburgh’s Stuart Turnbull said: “It was a good performance and a pleasing way to end this year. We got knocked out in the Scottish and South East Region Cups which was disappointing so the league is now our focus.”

Tynecastle’s Paul Airlie said: “We were unfortunate to lose a goal so early on but we had a few chances ourselves in the first half.”

Bonnyrigg into last four

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Bonnyrigg Rose 14s are through to the semi-finals of the John Crawford Memorial Trophy after a 2-0 victory over Spartans Blues at Ainslie Park.

Midfielder Harvey McLaren dispossessed an opponent before cracking a right-foot shot which sailed into the net from 25 yards in what was an evenly-contested first half.

However, 15 minutes into the second period, Finlay McIntosh collected a pass from Matthew Thomson and the youngster coolly scored to secure passage into the last four.

Bonnyrigg Rose coach 
Peter Innes said: “I’m looking forward to the semi-final next year. We’ve been disappointing in one or two cup ties this season and I think maybe some of the boys have struggled to 
adjust to Division 1. It was a fairly even match against Spartans but our defenders were rock solid and held out well.”

Related topics: