Edinburgh City 1 Kelty Hearts 1: Kevin Thomson off as champions held in the capital

Edinburgh City picked up a valuable point in their League Two play-off push as they held champions Kelty Hearts to a 1-1 draw.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Following a goalless opening 45 minutes at Ainslie Park, the Fifers went ahead three minutes after the interval through Jamie Barjonas' fine strike. But Alan Maybury's men deservedly got themselves back on level terms from a Ryan Shanley penalty.

The point keeps the Citizens in fourth, three points better off than Stenhousemuir who play Annan this weekend.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Manager Alan Maybury said afterwards: "We were on the backfoot in the first half but I thought we were more aggressive in the second and we played some decent stuff. Listen, they have really good players, are well drilled so it's a good point but we're not going to get carried away. It could be a really important point come the end of the season."

Edinburgh City picked up a valuable point in their quest for the play-offs (Photo by Craig Foy / SNS Group)Edinburgh City picked up a valuable point in their quest for the play-offs (Photo by Craig Foy / SNS Group)
Edinburgh City picked up a valuable point in their quest for the play-offs (Photo by Craig Foy / SNS Group)

City should have found themselves ahead in the fifth minute when Callum Tapping's inch-perfect pass picked out the run of Anthony McDonald, who had just Darren Jamieson to beat, but the former Livingston stopper stood up well and the chance was gone.

Kelty enjoyed the majority of possession during a stale first half, but they went in front through Barjonas's crisp volley in the 48th minute.

Kevin Thomson's men then suffered a blow minutes later when defender Thomas O'Ware was stretchered off following a Ben Stirling tackle.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Buoyed by his earlier strike, ex-Rangers man Barjonas was finding his rhythm and, from his clever run and pass, Alfredo Agyeman's powerful drive forced Brian Schwake into a fine save.

The hosts were handed a route back into the game in the 66th minute. Substitute Ouzy See had only been on the park a short while when a long ball into the visitors' penalty box was seized upon by the striker, who appeared to be clipped by Jamieson. Shanley took the responsibility and duly delivered from 12 yards.

City's tails were up and they were now the team in the ascendancy. Shanley wasted a gilt-edged chance when he elected to go it alone and fired wide of target with See in acres of space and a clear view of goal.

Referee Michael MacDermid sent off Thomson in the dying embers for dissent on the touchline.

Edinburgh City: Schwake, McIntyre, Hamilton, Stirling, McDonald (See 59), Tapping, Handling (Berry 82), Logan, Shanley, Brian, Murray. Subs: Leighfield, Boyle, Mitchell, Farrell.

Kelty Hearts: Jamieson, Forster, Barjonas, Higginbotham, Tidser, Philp, McNab, Kucheriavyi, Biabi, Agyeman (Cardle 66), O'Ware (Finlayson 54). Subs: Black, Peggie, Hill, Reilly, Donaldson, Ngwenya.

Referee: Michael MacDermid.

Attendance: 487.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.