“Phenomenal” work ethic as Livingston come from behind twice to beat Kilmarnock

David Martindale hailed the “phenomenal” work ethic of everyone at Livingston after his team came from behind twice to win away from home for the first time since August and surge into the top six.

A late own goal proved decisive in an entertaining 3-2 victory over Kilmarmock at Rugby Park.

Two goals from unlikely source of defender Joe Wright put Kilmarnock ahead at either end of the first half, with Bruce Anderson briefly levelling for Livi with a long-range piledriver.

Hide Ad

But Sean Kelly equalised with second-half penalty after VAR ruled that Chris Stokes had handled in the box and the Killie defender inadvertently shanked a cross into his own net to give Livingston a late winner. The result means the West Lothian side are just three points off third spot.

Livingston's Bruce Anderson celebrates after his pile-driver made it 1-1 in the first half. Picture: Rob Casey / SNS

“It's a huge three points,” Maretindale told BBC Sportsound. “We knew the threats that Killie would pose, we spoke a lot about set plays. I'm really disappointed to lose the two goals in that manner.

“But I've got to give the boys huge credit, we came back from behind twice and it was a fantastic goal from wee Brucie [Anderson]. And I know it was an own goal, but we work that pattern of play in training and wee Brucie won the turnover.

Hide Ad

“I was delighted with the boys. Kilmarnock have now only lost two in 12 at home so that shows you how hard it is to pick points up here. That's the first game we've won since going behind, so that's massive too. The work ethic throughout the club, not just the players, is phenomenal. It's a given that every game, the boys will give me everything they've got.”

Stokes failed to sort his feet out as he deflected a Cristian Montano cross into his own net to settle the match in Livi’s favour. Wright, who was on trial at Hearts in he summer, scored two headers for the hosts but the visitors had twice levelled, first through a long-range Anderson strike and then with Kelly's penalty making it 2-2.

Hide Ad

Both sides contributed to an open contest but it was Livi who came out on top through the own goal as they moved into the top six while the hosts remain 10th.

Martindale, meanwhile, opted to make three changes from their last match against Celtic, with Shamal George, Dylan Bahamboula and Anderson coming in from the start.

Hide Ad

Kilmarnock had been caught cold in their last outing but this time it was their turn to make the early breakthrough in just the fourth minute. Daniel Armstrong swung in a corner from the right-hand side and defender Wright was in the right place to power home a header from inside the six yard box.

The away side looked to respond and Ayo Obileye was presented with a clear opening in the 17th minute but he could only head narrowly wide when picked out by a Kelly corner.

Hide Ad

It was proving to be an open first half and Liam Donnelly almost doubled the home side's advantage just before the half-hour mark as he saw a shot from outside the box deflect past a post, before Livi came close in the 33rd minute when Jack Fitzwater's long ball released Anderson but he could only shoot straight at Hemming.

The Livingston striker only had to wait six minutes for his next chance though and this time he would take it as he latched onto a Steven Kelly pass before rifling a precise low shot into the bottom-right corner of the goal from 25 yards to bring the visitors level.

Hide Ad

The hosts almost hit back instantly as Stokes' header cannoned off the bar with George beaten. That looked like it would be the last action of the half but there was still time for one more opening on the stroke of half-time and it was the Armstrong and Wright combination that once again made the difference, as Wright met the winger's deep cross to loop a header over George and into the corner.

After the entertaining first half, the second period began in similar fashion with Innes Cameron going through on goal after a mistake from Jackson Longridge but the defender recovered to stifle the striker's shot.

Hide Ad

Livingston were then handed a route back into the match on the hour mark when referee Colin Steven awarded a penalty after Bahamboula's header struck Stokes' arm and Sean Kelly duly dispatched the spot-kick, coolly sending Hemming the wrong way to equalise.

It was the away side who continued to press forward and they were rewarded for their efforts in the 75th minute as they took the lead for the first time in the match. The lively Anderson was involved again, as he played the ball through to substitute Montano whose dangerous low cross came off the unfortunate Stokes and into the net.

Hide Ad

Kilmarnock pushed for an equaliser and Armstrong's deflected effort nearly brought them level in the last minute but it drifted wide as Livingston saw out the match to secure a precious away victory.