Juniors round-up: Burgh hit five; Hi Hi climb table

Easthouses Lily to the four

Monday, 6th March 2017, 5:30 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:08 am
Euan Bauld heads home Haddington's winner


Musselburgh Athletic 5

St Andrews Utd 1

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Musselburgh progressed to the third round of the with a convincing win at a foggy Olivebank. The home side took the lead after 15 minutes when a shot from Jed Davie was deflected past the keeper at his near post but the visitors levelled the scores when Aiden Hendry fired in a low effort from 12 yards. Davie got his and the Burgh’s second on the half hour mark with a shot from 25 yards 
before St Andrews were reduced to ten men when Lee Schiavone was shown a straight red card for a comment directed at the referee. With 20 minutes remaining, Mattie King was put clean through and he calmly shot low past the keeper. Ten minutes later, striker King was on the mark again when he beat the offside trap to run on and score. In the final minute, substitute Connor Spowart wrapped up the scoring when he rounded the keeper and shot home the Burgh’s fifth goal of the match.

Musselburgh Athletic: Renton, McManus, Lynch, Cherrie, O’Kane, Murphy, Donaldson, King, Davie, Thomson. Subs: Dunn, Spowart, McKenzie.

St Andrews United: Hunter, Honeyman, Perrie, Falconer, Duffy, Morrison, Schiavone, Fleming, Graham, Hendry, Nut. Subs: McInnes, Wallace.


Haddington Athletic 1

Dalkeith Thistle 0

The visitors had collected maximum points from their previous five league outings, but were forced to play second fiddle throughout as a strong team performance saw the Hi Hi climb two places in the table. Paul Devlin headed just over the bar from an Arran Ponton cross on six minutes, the first of a number of first-half opportunities. For all the home pressure, however, it remained goalless at the break. Dalkeith’s best spell came just after the restart, and Tyrone McLean could’ve done better with a chance just outside the six-yard box but he snatched at it and put the ball over the bar. The breakthrough came with 70 minutes played. Chris Cairney played a quick free-kick forward to Bob Berry, who from just inside the box delivered a tempting cross from which Euan Bauld headed firmly past James McQueen.

Haddington: S Inglis, Cairney, Ponton, Bauld, Cunningham, C Inglis, Berry, Devlin, Moffat, Sinclair, Jones. Subs: Fairnie, Robertson, Hill, Wright, Bleakley.

Dalkeith: McQueen, McQueenie, Robertson, McGlashan, Hunter, Whitson, Wales, Greig, Adams, McLean, Tansey. Subs: Muir, Waugh, Murray, Devlin, Combe.


Craigroyston 1

Easthouses Lily 4

Easthouses stunned the home side with a goal in the third minute when Stephen Ferguson set up Kenny McMillan, who scored from close range. Ferguson was again in the spotlight with a well-taken goal in the 26th minute before Gary Shearer finished off a superb passing sequence to put the visitors three up at half-time. Minutes into the second half Ferguson, looking well offside, put the result beyond doubt as he grabbed his second goal of the afternoon. Ross Nisbet scored a 65th-minute consolation goal for Craigroyston before Adam Robertson was red-carded for a rash challenge on Easthouses keeper Billy Taylor.

Craigroyston: Tansey, Penicuick, Murray, Hawkins, Nisbet, Rooney, Cameron (Taylor 63), D.Robertson (A Robertson 69), Buckley, Calvey, Links (Williams 35). Subs: Fisher.

Easthouses Lily: Taylor, Moffat, Hamilton, Tainsh, Arthur, Russell, Barrie (Watson 15), McMillan, Shearer (Kecheran 65), Mcdermott, Ferguson. Subs: McQueenie.