LEAFA Round-up: Edinburgh Caley defeat Newhaven, Westside win, Tranent face replay

Local teams in action

Monday, 2nd December 2019, 8:44 pm

Edinburgh Caley are through to the last-16 of the Only Sport Scottish Sunday Amateur Trophy after they braved the cold to brush aside fellow LEAFA outfit Newhaven North 5-0 at Peffermill.

Striker Chris Jones certainly knows where the net is and he demonstrated his

ruthlessness in front of goal with the opener after ten minutes – the Liverpudlian marksman reacting quickest after Nick Byrne’s free-kick from 25 yards out wasn’t held

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

on to by the Newhaven goalkeeper.

Caley’s front four of Byrne, Jones, Tommy Ambrozy and Ryan Stevenson were causing the visitors no end of

problems, and it was soon 2-0 to Caley.

Byrne had all the time in the world to play in Stevenson on the edge of the box, and he flicked on for Jones to volley into the back of the net.

Into the second half and the interval didn’t provide much respite for Newhaven, as Jones quickly secured his hat-trick early after the restart.

Jones then added an assist to his name, lifting over a cross to the back post where Stevenson

was on hand to make it


Byrne netted the fifth and final goal when he smashed in a low free-kick from the edge of the area and beyond the reach of Newhaven’s keeper.

Edinburgh East and Meadowmill join Caley in the hat for the last 16 draw on Friday after victories over Colts Athletic, 12-3 in East’s favour, and a 3-1 away win for Meadowmill at Broxburn.

Westside’s grip of top spot in the Premier Division strengthened after they beat Wallyford Bluebell 3-0 at Saughton to go nine points clear.

All goals came for the hosts in the second half after an opening period in which

Wallyford dominated possession but didn’t create

much of note to trouble the hosts.

Brian Ferry netted the opener with a composed finish after taking the ball on his chest, before Scott Thomson found the top corner with ten minutes remaining. Lewis Spence netted a third to wrap up the three points.

Saturday side Tranent face a Scottish Cup replay this weekend after drawing 3-3 away to Glasgow Island in the fourth round.

Tranent led 2-1 at the interval after goals from Jack Godsell and David MacIntosh responded to an early goal for Glasgow after a defensive


Anton McKillop made it 3-2 for Tranent after Glasgow had equalised, and with

ten minutes remaining

Tranent were pegged back once more.