Youth football: City 17s boost title hopes | Vale 14s' cup success

Edinburgh City 17s boosted their Division 2 title hopes with a comfortable 4-1 victory away to Cramond Blues.

Wednesday, 15th March 2017, 5:30 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:53 am
Edinburgh City 17s look on course for consecutive league promotions after a good win over Cramond. Pic: TSPL

City were only promoted last season, but look in great shape to make it consecutive league promotions as they consolidated their 13 point lead at the top of the table.

The visitors got off to a flyer inside the first minute. Referee Kieran Green had no option but to point to the spot after Jason Whitehead was brought down and the City striker dusted himself down to fire his side in front.

Cramond responded well, however, and got their equaliser after 20 minutes. A cross in from the right deceived a City defender and Sheehan Rajkumar sent a looping header over the City goalkeeper.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

City were unperturbed by the equaliser though and regained their lead courtesy of a stunning strike from Aidan Lawson from fully 25 yards out. Home keeper Nurani Vanu got his fingertips to the shot but couldn’t keep it out.

The big keeper was 
picking the ball out his net just four minutes later after he was left stranded with Alistair Hogg’s expertly taken free-kick from distance finding the top corner.

City extended their lead further into the second half with Whitehead combining with Robbie Telford down the right. Telford’ cross found Brett Pennycuik who found the net via a deflection off a Cramond defender.

It was one-way traffic thereafter, with Jamie Black orchestrating attacks for the visitors, but home keeper Vanu kept the scoring respectable with several outstanding saves.

Edinburgh City 15s came from a goal behind to book their place in the final of the Division 2 League Cup with a 3-1 triumph at home to 
Musselburgh Athletic Whites.

City had striker Kieran 
McCallum to thank for booking their spot against North Berwick Colts, with the lethal frontman bagging a hat-trick after Adam Dunlop had given Burgh a first half lead.

McCallum got his hands on the match ball and man of the match award after hitting the equaliser in the opening period before he netted his second and third goals after the interval.

Hutchison Vale 14s also enjoyed cup success over the weekend as they advanced to the final of the Kenny McLean Cup with a nervy 5-4 penalty shootout victory over Spartans Reds.

Hutchie will take on 
Longniddry Villa or Leith Athletic in the final after they came from behind in normal time through striker Bailey Simmons, with the game ending 1-1. Defender Sean Calder struck the winning penalty to take the adulation from his team-mates.

Tynecastle 13s advanced 
to the last four of the Stewart Brien Cup with a 2-1 triumph over rivals Hutchie Vale.

Charlie Nairn fired Tynie in front midway through the first half but they were pegged back almost immediately as Cairan Heeps netted for Hutchie.

Callum Todd popped up with the winning goal ten minutes from time after he coolly dispatched his spot-kick.

Hutchie 13s will face St 
Bernard’s BC Midlothian in the final of the Peter O’Neill Cup after they knocked out Hutchie’s Colts side with a 6-1 win away from home.