Youth wrap: City Jaguars show their claws

Edinburgh City Jaguars warmed up for next weekend's Persevere Cup final with a morale-boosting 7-1 win over Cramond 13s at Forrester High School.

Wednesday, 6th April 2016, 6:00 am
Edinburgh City Jaguars were in tremendous form as they defeated Cramond 13s 7-1

By the half way mark City had a four-goal cushion and it was no more than they deserved. Sam Rutter rounded Alex Murray in the Cramond goal to open the scoring before Ewan Montgomery half-volleyed home at the back post to double his side’s advantage. Then, with half time approaching, Calum McKendry and James Farrell found the net with City totally ruthless in front of goal.

Despite the game being virtually over as a contest, City maintained their attacking ambitions and it quickly paid off when the second half got under way as Mathew Young sent the ball flying in from 25 yards to make it 5-0.

Cramond did manage to get themselves a goal when Charlie Pattison rolled the ball under City keeper Daniel Inglis, but ultimately it was a mere consolation as City continued to show their opponents little mercy. Montgomery scored the sixth of the game and Adam Henderson bagged a goal to make it a day to remember for City.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Edinburgh now go into Sunday’s showdown with Bonnyrigg in fine fettle as they look to win the Persevere Cup.

• Hutchie Vale 17s came from 2-0 down against Loanhead MYFC 17s to book a spot in the final of the Tom Wilson Memorial Cup.

Loanhead grabbed the lead against the run of play. Right-back Joshua Fital fired the ball into the top left corner from 25 yards for a sensational goal.

Buoyed by their opening goal, ex-Hutchie lad Tod Rowell then created Loanhead’s second of the game as he played in Robert Sterricks to fire home.

Hutchie needed to be proactive and they did with four changes at the break. Looking rejuvenated, they pulled a goal back when Jamie Watson rounded off a neat passing move to fire past Loanhead goalie Ross Bain.

Then, ten minutes later, they pulled level as Cammy Walker sent a stinging volley into the Loanhead goal.

It was a determined effort from Hutchie and they deservedly got the winner in extra time when Liam Willis’ left foot shot rattled in for 3-2 from the edge of the box.

Hutchie go onto face Spartans Reds 17s in the final after they defeated Tynecastle 5-0 at Spartans Academy in the corresponding semi-final.

• Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic A 21s secured their fourth cup final spot of the season with a 4-0 win over Murieston United 21s at Bankton Mains 3G in the Murphu Trophy semi-final.

Rose got off to a blistering start and they took the lead 15 minutes in. From just outside the United box, Kevin Dyet whipped a freekick into the top right corner to make it 1-0.

United showed determination following the goal but couldn’t quite break down the Rose defence, meaning the score was left unchanged at the break.

Then, when play resumed, Rose got some momentum going in attack to score a second of the game. Dyet provided the assist as he ventured down the flank before whipping a cross in for Liam Fellenger to bury.

Although Rose then briefly took their foot off the gas and let United back into the game, they finished strongly, picking up two more goals to make sure of the result. Dyet added another when he got in behind the opposition defence to slot home before scoring once more for his hat-trick with a simple tap in five yards out.

Rose go on to face Leith 
Athletic 21s in the final of the competition.