Youths: Craigroyston BC 14s win Charles Kivlin Cup

CRAIGROYSTON BC 14s fought back to beat Edinburgh South Reds 5-2 and lift the Charles Kivlin Cup.

Saturday, 25th March 2017, 5:30 am
Updated Saturday, 25th March 2017, 10:50 am
The Craigroyston players and staff celebrate their success on the pitch after their 5-2 win

They were 2-0 down after 20 minutes, but after snatching a goal back before half-time, they came out flying after the break and scored a further four.

Only four points separate the sides in the Division Four so it would have looked like a good game for the neutral.

Despite Edinburgh South being first to settle into a rhythm, it was Craigroyston who went close from a counter as Tucker Smith shot wide after being played in by Brad Gilchrist.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

South continued to pass it well and they put their noses in front on 15 minutes through a spectacular Robbie Corner goal. He took a free kick from wide on the left, and smashed a powerful drive into the roof of the net.

Smith was almost in again straight after but was called offside, and his opponents scored a second on 20 minutes.

James Moran was the scorer this time after Prion Khokn had recovered the ball following the break-down of a good move, and knocked it into his team-mate’s path.

They could have had more but for a good block by Ross Hardwick on Moran, and John Paul O’Donnell volleyed wide after a bounce had been kind to him.

With six minutes to play until half-time, Craigie scored a crucial goal to ensure they remained in the tie. Dean Forbes raced on to a clearance up the park and slotted the ball beyond Alexander Renwick.

Renwick then produced a save to deny Owen Hanratty before the teams went inside for a well deserved break.

Whether there was something in the half-time refreshments, or the coaching team said something inspiring, Craigie came out looking invigorated.

They were on the front foot from the moment the second half started with Hanratty having another shot saved, and Smith putting one just past the post.

On 44 minutes they did have their equaliser. Smith got his goal this time when getting on the end of a tempting cross by Forbes.

They kept going and Smith beat the keeper again, only to be denied by a covering defender and Hanratty headed wide.

When they did take the lead it looked slightly fortuitous, as Brian Stoddart sent in a cross from the left only to see it sail into the top corner.

Corner had a decent effort from 25 yards for South as they attempted to turn the tide back in their favour.

But Craigroyston were making things difficult for them and the deficit was increased to two with nine minutes remaining.

Hanratty was first to another ball over the top and when Renwick made the initial stop, the attacker was calm enough to regain control and put it into an empty net.

The last throw of the dice for Edinburgh South came when Aidan Hassan crossed for Matthew Robertson, whose lay-off was struck by Christopher Fraser, but it was too close to Roy Robertson.

To add insult to injury, Hanratty scored his second with only two minutes remaining to make it 5-2. His relentless running paid off once more when he latched on to a through ball and finished well.

Edinburgh South Reds: Alexander Renwick, Christopher Fraser, Matthew Robertson, Lee Philip, James Moran, Jonny Tenant, Antonio Peluso, Robbie Corner, Aidan Hassan, John Paul O’Donnell, Michael Russell, Callum Stobbie, Lewis Deplacido, Liam Barr, Aaron Wood, Paul Morrison, Prion Khokn, Mark Thomson.

Craigroyston BC: Roy Robertson, Jack MacLeod, Kyle Murdoch, Dean Forbes, Owen Hanratty, Brad Gilchrist, Jordan Taylor, Ross Hardwick, Tucker Smith, Calum Tait, Kia Dalgleish, Jack Croal, Brian Stoddart, Cain Motion, Liam Greer, Conner Barnes.