Youths: Hutchison Vale 13s chalk up magnificent seven

Hutchison Vale 13s pulled off a dazzling performance to defeat Division 1 leaders Musselburgh Windsor 13s 7-2 at Pinkie Playing Fields.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 16th January 2016, 9:00 am
Hutchison Vale 13s never looked back after a relentless attacking spell approaching the half-time whistle
Hutchison Vale 13s never looked back after a relentless attacking spell approaching the half-time whistle

Musselburgh, who had only been beaten once in the league in eight games, were up against it from the off. After coming close to scoring first in the opening minutes through Grant Herbert, Hutchie went ahead eight minutes in and deservedly so. Jack Furness’ free kick from 30 yards was struck well and the ball flew in just under Nathan Cummings’ crossbar.

Windsor remained focused and battled back to equalise five minutes later. Aidan McFarlane whipped a free kick into the danger zone and Lewis Higginson produced the faintest of flicks to divert the ball into goal.

With the game opening up the goals continued to flow and Hutchie went ahead again 20 minutes in. A goalmouth stramash broke out in the Windsor penalty area after Herbert drilled the ball in from out wide and Baillie Simmons eventually got a clean shot away to put Hutchie back ahead, 2-1.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Again though the lead was short lived for the visitors as Windsor rallied once more to pull the scores level. Robert McCartney showed a turn of pace down the left flank before putting the ball on a plate for Justin Jordan to show precision and roll the ball into the bottom right corner.

Windsor had more than matched their opponents as the first half reached its midway point but Hutchie ended the period on top with a relentless attacking spell. In the space of 15 minutes Herbert had multiple efforts saved by Cummings and the woodwork, while Furness also saw his strike ricochet off the crossbar.

Just as it looked as if Windsor would keep their opponents at bay until half-time, Hutchie went back ahead. A corner from the left was glanced in by Scott Chalmers with the home defence not reacting to the initial danger.

The goal on the verge of the interval seemed to knock the wind from Windsor’s sails in the second half and Hutchie lifted their game a notch to ensure they would come out victorious. Ten minutes into the second half they extended their lead. Substitute Casey Bunker made his mark when he was played in across the right of the box before whipping an effort into the far left corner for 4-2.

Windsor’s instinctive reaction was to dig deep once more to try get back into the game, and they came mighty close to doing so. Higginson chased a forward ball down the right hand side before crossing into Jack Main at the back post. Main directed his header on target but the ball cannoned off the left-hand post with Hutchie goalkeeper Evan Miller beaten.

Although Windsor showed an initial fight to try a third comeback, Hutchie were ruthless in attack, scoring three goals in the final ten minutes. Ben Wardlaw put his side further ahead as he showed determination to follow up his shot and send the ball crashing home.

It was then the turn of substitute Murray Connolly to show what he could do when introduced to the field and he sent a driven effort in from the edge of the box for 6-2.

Then, with minutes remaining, Hutchie rounded off a fine performance with a seventh of the game when Wardlaw struck once again in the box with a composed strike.

Musselburgh Windsor 13s: Nathan Cummings, Aidan McFarlane, Adam Clark, Jack Dickson, Josh Campbell, Ben Finlay, Lewis Young, Kerr Matt, Ben Gearty, Jack Main, Justin Jordan, Lewis Higginson, Kurt Robertson, Lewis Bowd, Robert McCartney.

Hutchison Vale 13s: Evan Miller, Dylan Boyle, Laurence Linklater, Josh Ferguson, Matthew McCormack, Ewan Greenhill, Scott Chalmers, Jack Furness, Murray Connolly, Ben Wardlaw, Baillie Simmons, Grant Herbert, Casey Bunker, Nathan Gallagher, Patryk Jelen.