Youths: Hutchison Vale 19s win Division 1 League Cup

Hutchison Vale FC 19s were crowned Division 1 League Cup winners after a 4-0 defeat of Currie Star FC.

Saturday, 4th June 2016, 5:30 am
Updated Sunday, 5th June 2016, 6:42 pm
Hutchison Vale 19s did not have it all their own way against Currie

Goals from Samuel Nhamubro and Scott Russell in the first half and Daryl John Healy and Ciaran Chalmers after the break sealed the outcome.

However, the score did not reflect the play over the 90 minutes.

Hutchie get the game underway on a beautiful night for football at New Dundas Park. The first chance came the way of Hutchie on six minutes after some good build-up play allowed Healy to cut the ball back to Brodie Hamilton but his well-struck shot was blocked. At the other end Mark McGovern had the ball in the Hutchie goal a minute later but his celebrations were cut shot when the referee ruled for a foul on the goalkeeper.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The opening goal arrived with nine minutes gone when Hamilton found Nhamburo 16 yards out with a precise through ball and he curled a low driven left footed shot round keeper Callum Reid finding the inside of the far post.

Currie almost struck back immediately through Cameron Ross when he found himself clear on goal but he shot from 20 yards out straight at Quinn Franklin. Calum McDonald then blasted a shot high and wide over the Hutchie goal. Both sides were keeping up the quick pace with the game switching from one end to the other in the blink of an eye.

Great combination play on 19 minutes between Nhamburo and Russell saw the latter double his side’s lead when he produced a low shot into the left hand side of Reid’s goal leaving the keeper with no chance.

Currie should have reduced the deficit on 25 minutes when, after some good build-up play, skipper Aidan Quinn blasted the ball over the bar from three yards out. Both sides created further half chances before the half-time whistle.

Currie restarted and with only three minutes in they found themselves further behind. Healy created his own luck down the right but his initial shot was blocked, but when the ball found its way back to him 16 yards out, he unleashed a rocket of a shot high over the head of Reid and into the net.

It looked like Hutchie would kick on but Currie took control of the game. Ross put a shot wide of the right-hand post, skipper Quinn then should have reduced the deficit after getting on the end of Greg Benson free kick but he put his header wide from six yards out.

Relentless attacking play by Currie pinned Hutchie deep in their own half but the final ball was letting Currie down time and again. Currie could have been punished further for not taking their chances when Ciaren Chalmers put his stooping header just wide.

The Hutchie goal certainly had led a charmed life in the second half helped by some resolute defending along with good goalkeeping. This was the case when Franklin pulled of a superb save to deny Sean Watt from pulling a goal back from six yards out. How Currie had not scored was the question on everyone’s lips but it just was not their night in front of goal. Football is all about scoring goals and Chalmers made it four for Hutchie catching Currie on the counter attack in added on time to make the scoreline a lot more comfortable than it actually was on the night for the League Cup winners.

Hutchison Vale FC 19s: Quinn Franklin, Marcus Hall, John Francis, David MacNamara, Daryl John Healy, Mohammed Asam, Ciaren Chalmers, Brodie Hamilton, Ewan Gary Waddell, Rhys Surgeon, Ryan Barry, Samuel Nhamburo, Callum Rae, Scott Russell, Aidan Charles McGuire.

Currie Star FC: Callum Reid, Domenico Pacitti, Jason Barker, Josh Wishart, Liam Hutchison, Dominic Kane, Calum McDonald, Cameron Ross, Mark McGovern, Sean Watt, Nathan Stokes, Cameron Hoehie, Aiden Quinn, Donnie Campbell, Greg Benson.