Grange denied treble as Grove Menzieshill claim Play-off crown

Double winners Grange had to accept second best to Grove Menzieshill as their treble dream hit the skids.

Monday, 14th May 2018, 2:59 pm
Updated Monday, 14th May 2018, 3:05 pm
Grange's Hamish Imrie, left, and Callum Milne close in on a Western Wildcats player during Saturday's semi-final win. Pic: Nigel Duncan

The Edinburgh hockey side, who won the Division One title and the Scottish Cup, weathered an early storm from the Dundee outfit to lead 1-0 after 19 minutes of the Play-off Grand Final after Irish striker Frank Ryan rifled the ball home following a penalty corner.

But the Tayside team fired three unanswered goals through rising star Cammy Golden and Olly James, who deflected the ball home from two similar penalty corner routines.

Grove finished third in the ten-strong league, five points behind Grange, but they now go into Europe’s top competition next season having beaten Scotland’s two top teams in 24 hours having disposed of Kelburne, who finished second in the table, 5-3 in their semi-final at the West of Scotland side’s home pitch on Saturday.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

There was joy for Edinburgh University women, who claimed their domestic treble in dramatic fashion.

The students, who had already won the Division One title and the Scottish Cup, edged arch-rivals Clydesdale Western after a nerve-jangling penalty shoot-out at Glasgow’s National Hockey Centre.

The Capital combine had earlier taken the lead when player/coach Sam Judge slotted from a penalty corner after 24 minutes.

Lexi Sabatelli levelled following a brilliant solo run with 11 minutes left and the deadlock could not be broken. Edinburgh won the penalty shoot-out 3-1 to take the title.

Beth Dodds claimed a double to keep Grange Edinburgh Ladies in the top flight and end Inverleith’s promotion dream. Jayne McKay slotted Inverleith’s goal as the relegation play-off finished 2-1 to Grange.

In the men’s relegation play-off, Dundee Wanderers were demoted, losing 6-1 to Uddingston.