Rugby: Boroughmuir must scrap to make Premiership top eight

Boroughmuir slipped closer to the dogfight for a top-eight finish in the Premiership when they sustained a third successive defeat against opponents who have qualified for the British & Irish Cup.

By Colin Renton
Monday, 17th October 2011, 12:55 pm

After close calls against Melrose and Currie, Muir travelled to face Ayr in a justifiably confident mood. However, the outcome proved to be further disappointment for Fergus Pringle’s team who lost 37-17 despite a try by Iain Moody and four penalties from the boot of Ally Warnock.

There was also further bad news for Heriot’s who were away to fellow strugglers Glasgow Hawks.

Despite a big contribution from skipper Graham Wilson, who bagged all his team’s points with a try, conversion and two penalties, the Goldenacre men had only a narrow defeat bonus point from the 19-13 loss and they now face a tense run in to the first half of the campaign.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Unbeaten Division Two leaders Stewart’s-Melville produced a battling performance to extend their lead at the top of the table with a 26-22 win over second-placed Jed-Forest that extends their advantage over the Borderers to five points.

For Stew-Mel, Andy Hughes touched down and Seb Trotter added the conversion plus two penalties as the sides reached the interval locked at 13-13. The lead changed hands several times in the second period, with Mike Hanning dotting down for a debut try to nudge Stew-Mel back into the lead and then kicking a penalty, although the hosts led 22-21 with five minutes to play. However, Willie Aiken ploughed over for the decisive score.

Watsonians were also on the road but Marcus Di Rollo’s team had to settle for a narrow defeat bonus from their trip to face Hillhead/Jordanhill. The Myreside men led at the break but succumbed to a second-half fight back and were squeezed out 30-27. Di Rollo, Jack Ferguson and Danny Moussa had a try apiece, while Brian Walls kicked the other points for ’Sonians who have now slipped to fourth in the table.

In Division Three, Lasswade were looking to bounce back from a defeat last time out when they hosted leaders Kirkcaldy.

But, it was another disappointing afternoon for the hosts who battled back from a 22-0 half-time deficit. Neil Clark touched down twice and Niall Gray also crossed the whitewash, while Nick Wood kicked two conversions. However, the hosts had to settle for a second successive losing bonus point after going down 22-19.

At the other end of the table, Haddington went to Morgan Academy in Dundee, but lost 26-17.