Scotland Women 5, Spain Women 10: Scots retain World Cup hopes

Scotland lost the first leg of their World Cup qualifier with Spain at Scotstoun last night, but will still feel they can go through.

Saturday, 19th November 2016, 5:30 am
Updated Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 11:07 am
Scotland celebrate Deborah McCormack's try

They head to Madrid next Saturday for the second leg 10-5 down and they caused Spain plenty of problems.

The Scots started brightly and had a number of early attacks, but Spain stand-off Patricia Garcia kicked a penalty to make it 3-0 after withstanding a lot of Dark Blue presuure.

In the 20th minute Scotland stand-off Helen Nelson, later named player of the match, tried an ambitious penalty effort from nearly 40 metres, but it dipped under the crossbar.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A try that the pressure deserved came from second-row Deborah McCormack. The conversion was missed from wide, but it was 5-3.

Spain hit back with a try of their own through centre Vanesa Rial which was well converted by Garcia. It left it at 10-5 to the visitors at half-time.

Spain started the second period well and nearly added to their tally, but Scotland did find a second wind and full-back Chloe Rollie went close to a second try for her side, but was held up just short of the line.

Late on Scotland nearly levelled things, but Spain defended very well and take a slender advantage into the second leg.

Scorers: Scotland Women: Try: McCormack. Spain Women: Try: Rial. Pen: Garcia. Con: Garcia.

Scotland Women: C Rollie; M Gaffney, L Thomson, L Martin, R Lloyd; H Nelson, S Law; H Lockhart, L Skeldon, T Balmer, E Wassell, D McCormack, J Forsyth, L McMillan, K Dunbar. Subs used: L Smith, K Dougan, S Bonar, R Malcolm, J Maxwell, E Sinclair.

Spain Women: B Pla; M Casado, V Rial, M Bravo, I Echebarria; P Garcia, A Fernandez; I Rico, A Gonzalez, L Delgado, M Ribera, E Redondo, D Gasso, P Medin, A Del Pan. Subs used: S Jaurena, J Vinueza, M Castelo, I Schiavon, A Erbina.

Referee: C Hodnett.

Attendance: 2,565.