Elderly couple hospitalised on same day reunited after months of recovery

They were both hospitalised on March 16.
Watch more of our videos on Shots!
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

An Edinburgh couple who were both hospitalised on the same day have been reunited after two months of recovery.

Michael, 92, and Annie, 88, are now back together at their Edinburgh home and have even been able to receive a socially distant visit from one of their grandchildren.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Annie was rushed to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary on March 16 after fracturing her pelvis.

Annie, 88, and Michael, 92, were reunited after months apart.Annie, 88, and Michael, 92, were reunited after months apart.
Annie, 88, and Michael, 92, were reunited after months apart.

Just hours later her husband Michael had a fall and a heart attack, and was also brought to the ERI.

The couple remained at the hospital for more than a month, during which time they were separated but able to eat meals together.

Both were then transferred to Liberton Hospital, where Annie tested positive for Covid-19.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

While Michael was discharged, Annie had to remain in Liberton for two weeks until she tested negative for the virus.

On May 18 she was able to go home, and the couple were reunited.

They received a visit on June 1 from their daughter, Morag Taylor, and their grandaughter Lauren.

Annie said she ‘couldn’t believe it’ when she found out she had been in hospital for such a long time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“I had no idea I was in there for eight weeks, I couldn’t believe it,” she told STV.

“I had two feelings about going home, because everybody said: ‘you’ll be delighted’. Yes and no, because there I had everything done for me, I didn’t need to think. Of course, now you have to do everything.”

Michael added that the hospital staff must have been surprised to see both him and his wife admitted on the same day.

Read More
Man charged for driving 102mph in East Lothian following spate of speeding offen...

“They must have wondered what in the devil’s name, the same family, a few hours between them,” he said.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He also spoke of his worry over the past few months about Annie in hospital, where he could not see her.

“I was worried. I was keeping my fingers crossed. I had visions of her, as I say, maybe having to go into a care home or something like that,” he said.

Annie said: “All I thought was I hope he’ll manage all right.”

Michael and Annie’s daughter Morag said the family wanted to give hope to others whose loved ones have been diagnosed with Covid-19.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“It’s a huge relief. We just wanted to give that ray of hope. It doesn’t mean it’s the end of the road,” she said.

“We’ve been extremely lucky but, yet again, some of the other women who tested positive on mum’s ward, they have all now also recovered.

“It’s just unbelievable to be able to actually come here and see them both sitting out here and bring the grandchildren, for us all to start looking forward to things again in the future, rather than just living day to day.”

Related topics: