More commonly associated with Glasgow and the west of Scotland, red sandstone architecture was once rare in the Capital as the nearest quarries were located more than a hundred kilometres away in the south of Scotland.
But this all changed with the expansion of the country’s railway network in the 1890s, which allowed for the transportation of huge quantities of quarried stone from sites in Dumfries and Annan at a cost the city could afford.
As a result, Edinburgh witnessed a surge of red sandstone buildings going up by the end of the century, including the Caledonian Hotel, the King’s Theatre, the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and Lauriston fire station, to name but a few.
1. Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian (1890-1903)
Originally built as a railway station with the hotel added in 1903, the Caley, as this building is affectionately known, was once referred to as a "grand old Glasgow dame come to Edinburgh" on account of its red hue.
2. Scottish National Portrait Gallery (1885-1890)
It is fitting that a building that has housed countless examples of fine art over the past century should be a work of art itself.
3. Sick Kids hospital (1892-97)
The Royal Hospital for Sick Children, as it is officially known, may be due to close, but we're delighted its magnificent red sandstone edifice will remain for years to come.
4. Lauriston Fire Station (1897-1901)
Designed by Robert Morham, the old Edinburgh Fire Brigade Station at Lauriston Place was until recently home to the Edinburgh Fire Museum.