For more than 180 years it graced Edinburgh’s main thoroughfare and built up a reputation as one of the finest brands in all of Scotland.
Famously dubbed the ‘Harrods of the north’, the world-renowned Jenners department store has attracted generations of Edinburgh shoppers from all walks of life – whether they could afford its luxurious wares or not.
Jenners announced the end to its 183-year residence on Princes Street in May 2021. And, as it stands empty, we’ve had a rummage through the archives to bring you 17 key dates in the history of Edinburgh’s most beloved shop.
1. 2021: End of Jenners on Princes Street
It is announced that Jenners on Princes Street is to cease trading in May 2021 with the loss of 200 jobs. Photo: TSPL
2. 1911: Royal Warrant granted
Jenners is granted a Royal Warrant in 1911, lending added prestige to the now famous brand. Photo: TSPL
3. 1838: Jenners department store opens
Opened in 1838, the original Jenners store occupied the same corner of Princes Street and S St David Street. Photo: Edinburgh Museums
4. 1962: Redevelopment of west wing
Demolition and redevelopment of Jenners' buildings to the west carried out and a modern build erected on the site. Photo: TSPL