CCTV shows Bradley Welsh killer fleeing murder scene with shotgun

CCTV footage has been released which shows Bradley Welsh killer Sean Orman going to and then fleeing the murder scene near his home in Edinburgh’s West End.

By Jamie McKenzie
Friday, 7th May 2021, 8:26 pm

On Friday, Orman was jailed for a minium of 28 years for murdering Welsh on his doorstep and ten years for the attempted murder of Welsh’s friend, David McMillan, during a machete attack at his home in the city’s Greenbank area the month before. These sentences will run concurrently.

Orman, 30, gunned down Welsh at close range with a shotgun outside his basement flat while his family were inside on the evening of April 17, 2019. Welsh had been returning from his boxing gym at the time.

During the trial, a witness called Dean White gave evidence saying he told police in March 2019 that Orman was being paid £10,000 by a man called George Baigrie to attack Welsh.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

CCTV captured the killer going to and running away from the murder scene. Pic: Crown Office

Following Friday’s guilty verdicts, the Crown Office released footage which showed Orman outside the Japanese Consulate in nearby Melville Street - before and after the shooting.

At around 7.30pm, Orman can be seen walking to the scene and just after 8pm he is seen running in the opposite direction. The shotgun is just visible in the footage.

During the trial, the jury heard that the shotgun used was found at a property in Lanarkshire after a police raid. It is thought he organised for a friend to take the murder weapon there.

Experts could not say definitively if it was the weapon used to shoot Welsh, but it matched witness Mr White’s description of an ‘old-fashioned’ double barreled sawn off shotgun.

A CCTV still image shows Orman in Kirknewton's Main Street around 9pm.

The court also heard that tracksuit bottoms seized from Orman days after the shooting had firearms discharge residue inside the pockets which was similar in composition to the type found on Welsh’s body. Orman had been wearing the joggers at the time he was arrested.

Further Crown productions also showed a damaged phone thrown away by Orman and CCTV images of him in Kirknewton’s Main Street at around 8.56pm carrying a bag thought to contain the gun.

The trial also heard evidence that a solen Ford Kuga car was used by Orman in the days before the murder. Prosecutor Richard Goddard QC said the car has a tracker which recorded its movements and that it was driven past Welsh’s home three times on April 7, 2019. Orman’s phone had been switched off at those times.

A phone associated with Mr Orman was also tracked on mobile masts close to Chester Street in the hours before Mr Welsh died.

A shotgun was recovered by police in Lanarkshire. Pic: Crown Office

Orman has claimed at the time Welsh was shot, he was not in Chester Street but was elsewhere and cycling between Longstone and Kirknewton. The jury did not believe this and returned two guilt verdicts on Friday.

Judge Lord Beckett imposed a punishment part of 28 years for the murder charge on Welsh and ten years for the attempted murder charge on David McMillan.

Lord Beckett told Orman that he might not be released after the custodial terms ended and would only be released when the parole board decided he no longer posed a threat to the public.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription at